Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Buying new speakers - newb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new speakers - newb question

I'm looking to buy new speakers to replace the speakers in the sail panel of my t/a that keep blowing. I'm looking to buy the Kicker CVT 6.5 woofers, but I'm unsure what to buy as far as ohm's go. Should I buy the 2 ohm or the 4 ohm? whats the difference?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using the stock amp you shouldn't buy either.
Monsoon System Components

Firebird coupes have component 6.5S (6.5" oversize) 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the doors, dual voice coil 6.5S (4-ohm + 4-ohm) subs mounted in the sail panels (beside the rear seat), and component 4" 4-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the hatch area. The two door mids and two hatch mids account for four of the eight channels of the amp while the DVC subs account for two channels each to make up the other four channels. This leaves the front and rear tweeters to be powered directly by the head unit.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've already gone through two sets of the stock speakers, and I don't really put any abuse on them. What would be a good set to get? I do eventually want to replace the rest of the system too, so I wouldn't be closed to getting better quality when a better amp and HU is in the future
Old 07-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Check with Kee Audio (a sponsor here) for speakers that will work properly with the Monsoon setup without having to rob a bank. They are much more durable than the factory speakers.

That being said, you've already replaced them twice so I will assume you like to crank up the volume a bit. The factory Delco head unit becomes a distortion machine at higher volume and will eventually destroy even the best speakers. If you want volume without damage, you really should replace the head unit.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

right on guys.. now many people know bout that stuff it seems..