Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Progressive door lock mod and "second channel"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Default Progressive door lock mod and "second channel"

Many of us have done the progressive door lock mod that makes both doors unlock with only one press of the remote button. Doing so leaves an extra wire that still gets a positive pulse when the remote is pressed twice. There haven't been many useful things to do with this extra "channel" because it's on the unlock circuit and because it also pulses when the inside door unlock button is pressed.

I finally tried something I've been thinking about and it works great! I wired my garage door opener to the extra "channel". First, I took apart my opener and shorted the switch so that it is always "pressed". Then I soldered power and ground wires to the battery contacts. My remote uses one of those 12V barrel batteries that's like a small AAA so I didn't have to worry about a step-down transformer. I wired the positive side to the leftover gray with black wire coming out of the BCM that is no longer used after the lock mod. The other wire went to a convenient ground (the stud under the right side of the dash). I tucked the opener in a space under the top dash panel near the right side of the instrument cluster.

Now, I can press the unlock button inside the car door and the garage door will open or close. And I can close the garage if I go out for a walk by pressing the unlock button on the key fob twice (the car is inside the garage so unlocking isn't a problem). A bonus is that I never have to worry about replacing the opener's batteries.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this to mine as well but with an extra asr switch. However, it eventually burnt up the garage door opener circuit board. I have no idea what happened to cause this?

Sounds pretty sweet to have it on your key fob
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That's strange that it would cause damage. I've had a similar setup on my Gold Wing for almost 10 years and it still works great. Perhaps you had an over-voltage condition or some electrical surge that caused the problem?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that sounds awesome.

Smart idea