Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Want to use (fake) TCS switch as my kill switch? best way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to use (fake) TCS switch as my kill switch? best way?

Ok so my car is a 98 camaro and i don't have traction control. But i bought the switch because i thought it would be nice if i can make that into a kill switch.

So i was thinking to take it to my local stereo shop to see if its possible to do...but with the right guidance i think i can tackle this project.

i wondering to set it up to the starter so i can only turn on the car when im holding the ASR switch( i know im going to have my hands twisted and awkward)

will this be possible to do? since i will have to hold down the switch so it can work. and the switch has 5 pins i know my harness has the connection for the switch i was thinking of cutting it off the harness and using it with the switch and find what wires let the current run thought.

thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

First of all, it may be difficult for me to explain over the internet without actually seeing it. And maybe someone knows better than me, but I haven't seen an answer so I'll tell you what I'd do..

You'll need a multimeter. Swich it over to test for continuity. (Where it will beep when the probes are touching or are on the same circuit)

Start probing the 5 terminals untill you find 2 that beep while the switch is pressed and do not beep when it's released. Those will be the two you use.

Your starter wire is about one of about 5 thick wires you'll see going into your column. The starter wire is either purple or yellow. (I can't remember right off, but GM uses both colors for different cars.)

Just to be sure, meter the wire you find. It should read 12 volts ONLY while you're cranking your car with your key. Make sure it doesn't have 12 volts with the ACC on or just IGN.

Now just cut the starter wire and run 2 wires from the switch to the cut ends of the starter wire. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

great thanks for the help flamingchicken94!!

ill start by finding which pins on the switch are the correct ones.

and i will get a continuity tester that does not require to cut the wires so i can track down the right starter wire.
thanks again
Old 07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

no problem..

One thing I do when checking wires is take my knife and slice through the insulation, but don't cut the wire. Then stick the (+) probe to the blade of the knife.

And just remember to use large guage wire to that switch.. It will probably melt smaller wire. Theres a lot of current through those things.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought, with that much juice going through that switch, I'd be pretty sure you're going to melt that puppy. You're going to have to rig up some relays at least.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You'd be better off using a low current circuit that won't burn up the switch.

You can use the starter relay control wire from the BCM. It is the yellow with black wire at C11 in the large blue connector on the BCM (there are several yellow wires but only one yellow with black).

Cut the wire and extend both ends to your switch. Connect one side to pin E of the switch and the other to pin F.

This prevents the starter relay from engaging unless you're pressing the switch and it only routes a small current through the switch.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys..

I was worried about all the current.. I didn't know you could use the BCM. That would definitley be a safer way to do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Teching In

ok thanks for the help and advice jimbo98z,, and Flamingchicken94

WhiteBird00 thanks for the diagrams! i think im going to get a friend with wiring know-how to help me thought it just to make sure its all good..

should do it in the next few weeks i will post the results.