Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

All in one unit + Computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All in one unit + Computer

Im starting my hunt for products! Its just not going as well as hoped, lol.

My ideal goal is to have an all in one unit, something with GPS, DVD, CD, Radio, Sat Ready, HD Ready, I-Pod, etc. The only spin to it is that i want something i can connect my Laptop to and have the touch screen functional.

Anyone know of such a unit? I know i can get full audio and full video on almost all units but not the touchscreen.

Any tips or ideas are welcome but keep in mind, i dont want a carputer. If i just put a 7in touchscreen in the dash that would require me to buy a 4 chan amp to power the speakers.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

There is a company called drive soft. It is a unit that is a computer and everything else you could want in a radio. Pretty nice unit. The owner/inventor is Jack. Look him up. The company is based out of Louisiana, his shop is in metairie.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Seems interesting, ill have to look more into this! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Revo-sys x300... http://www.revo-sys.com/index.php

check out the videos on the main page... everything you could possibly want... a lil pricy though.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xephona
Revo-sys x300... http://www.revo-sys.com/index.php

check out the videos on the main page... everything you could possibly want... a lil pricy though.
Very helpful! Thanks! Theres a product on that page that may be exactly what i need.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry but I fail to see the point of having a Headunit that will support:GPS,Satellite Radio,USB Interface for an Ipod,Multimedia Device with a nice hard drive, and a screen to be interface for your laptop.

What I am trying to say is that, if you already have a laptop, It would be perfect device to be used as brains of system.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 07-21-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I'm sorry but I fail to see the point of having a Headunit that will support:GPS,Satellite Radio,USB Interface for an Ipod,Multimedia Device with a nice hard drive, and a screen to be interface for your laptop.

What I am trying to say is that, if you already have a laptop, It would be perfect device to be used as brains of system.
Because if i take the laptop out, the system is inoperative. The laptop would be additional so i can just run some extra programs such as my obd2 monitor, streaming internet radio, and Zunepass.

Also i can use the laptop as the brain but then i need to buy the GPS, Sat/HD radio tuner, screen, wires, amp (assuming i dont use the unit posted above) and a few other nic nacs like a converter to plug in the power supply for the laptop.

I really just want to research every possible choice i can have.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Default re: unit

That Revo-sys head unit is awesome! I'd wreck my car within a week for sure!! LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL that looks like the kind of stuff they put in cars on Pimp my ride
Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

There's an entire community dedicated to this sort of thing: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

One of the easiest ways would be to connect a compact laptop mounted under your dash to a foldout touchscreen where the head unit goes. Add a bluetooth GPS unit and a nice interface (StreetDeck makes a good one), and you've got a fully functional "carputer."
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FullBlack4thGen
Because if i take the laptop out, the system is inoperative. The laptop would be additional so i can just run some extra programs such as my obd2 monitor, streaming internet radio, and Zunepass.

Also i can use the laptop as the brain but then i need to buy the GPS, Sat/HD radio tuner, screen, wires, amp (assuming i dont use the unit posted above) and a few other nic nacs like a converter to plug in the power supply for the laptop.

I really just want to research every possible choice i can have.
Yea thats true as well.
I would say look into a carputer as well, Im in middle of building one myself and I think it surpasses lot of the fancy head units. Only thing is you do end up putting the thing together by yourself though, it can be PIA if one isn't really into that stuff.
Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
LOL that looks like the kind of stuff they put in cars on Pimp my ride
true, but it makes our interiors current in the tech dept.

Quick Reply: All in one unit + Computer