Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car Alarm/Remote starter

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm/Remote starter

I've tried the search but didn't really come up with anything.

I'm looking to get a Car alarm w/ remote start. I'm not looking for GPS tracking or Low Jack or anything like that.

My question is: Does it really matter which name brand you get as long as it has all the features you want?
I'm currently looking at a CarVox unit on E-baby. It seems to have everything I'm looking for and the price is not bad at all. Here's the link to what I'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310130531167

Any of y'all that have experience in these matters please feel free to give me your .02

Also: how easy are these thing to install? I want to try and do it myself because installation prices at the shops I've looked at are OUTRAGEOUS!!

Thanks for the input y'all.

Scott
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't find anything? There are dozens of threads about this. Either something made by DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford) or Compustar. Accept nothing else. Unless you're really good with electronics, I would bite the bullet and have a professional (meaning NOT someone who works at Best Buy) do it.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Teching In

^^^^^^
Agreed

Viper for me. I didn't get the remote start with mine but I really like the way it works.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'd agree with dragonrage's post 100%.

Honestly messing with ignition/alarm/lights wires isn't really easy as learning to change your own oil as you go along.

I got my preistege 997a (2way remote alarm) and installed from a reputable shop for $285. Its been good to me.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

I use an autopage rs-1000. you can pick one up one ebay for around $250. it has a mile range which isnt really a mile but it has a very long range. it has the remote start feature if you wanna use it. its my second autopage ive bought and love it.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies y'all.

Anyone else have any input about "off" brands. I don't really have the money for a $500 viper.

Scott
Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Have you called your Viper/Python shops and asked for quotes?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Have you called your Viper/Python shops and asked for quotes?
+1! Call some shops and see what they can do for you. I got a $500+ python system installed for less then $400 at a good shop. You really have to look around a bit and as stated, dont settle for a cheep system or cheep shop. I worked at circuit city for over a year as a car installer. I dident know jack about alarms and remote starts so my bosses told me to "Try" to instally one on a customers car. . . .maybe you can see why they went out of business? lol. Anyway how much are you looking to spend installed, maby i can get you a good deal on a system.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

PS: I refused to "Try" to install a system on a customers car. However my coworkers did a great job of butchering some expensive cars, lol.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Alos, read that sellers feedback. One of the neutral feedbacks brings up a good point.

"Its hard to find anyone to install this brand of system of alarm."

Alot of shops wont touch X brand product to keep a good reputation. Would make them look bad if they installed a bad product in your car and it craped out or hurt your car. Also most places offer free follow ups and service, if they think its going to crap out and they need need fix it once a week they wont be making money off you.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Python 990 alarm/remote start on my Camaro and I love it. Also have a Viper 350 HV alarm on the wife's Mustang out of my old 2000 Silverado and a Valet 554R alarm/remote start on my S10. I have been very impressed with all of the DEI products that I have owned and have never had any problems out of any of them.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Scott My alarm isn't really off brand/ miscellaneous brand shipped from china on ebay but it is relatively cheap. Its a co-company of audiovox and clifford i believe.

These #s are from my receipt from last year.

Prestige APS-997A Remote Security System $125
Vats Bypass module (needed for remote start feature) $25
Trunk Release Module $25

Installation was suppose to be $125 but the shop knocked off $15 because it took them an extra hour for them get everything ready. It came with 2 remotes and 1 of them is a 2way pager.

On the web they go for about $120 and shops themselves sell them for $150.

I paid total of $285 for an alarm, remote start, door unlock/lock feature.

I 'm actually having window modules installed on the remote because it has a few channels free.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Uhh, if it's related to Clifford, it would be listed on http://www.directed.com/

It does seem to be owned by Audiovox, but hey, I wouldn't want Audiovox in my car, so....
Old 07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I stand corrected, its audiovox.

OP asked for a relatively inexpensive system and my experience has been good with this device.

I'm no electronics expert, but I'm sure you 'll agree with me that anything lower quality than a viper system is better than the system that came in fbodies to begin with.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

I'm an installer at a business that carries DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital etc.) I can speak for the quality of these systems as well as the technical support DEI gives, they're a great company..

I have also installed no-name alarms/remote starts that customers have brought in and there is A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. They do not function anywhere near as well as DEI products do and they are definitely much lower quality.

The way I look at it, if you want an alarm you want it to work when needed, and by seeing how fickle the cheaper brands are, there is no way I'd waste my money on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Alarm/Remote starter