Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keep blowing a fuse, no turn signals/back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep blowing a fuse, no turn signals/back up lights

So I bought a 2000 WS6 from a good friend of mine. I have known the car for years, but recently bought it. I noticed the reverse lights, and the turn signals do not work. The fuse was blown on the interior fuse block, so I replaced it. Tried the left signal it blew immediatly. Replaced it with a new fuse, tried the reverse lights first, they worked. Then I tried the right signal. It worked fine. As soon as I flipped the left signal it blew again. So, something with the left signal is causing the fuse to blow.

However, my buddy said years back he installed a high beam bulb, in the low beam socket (no clue why, he must have been a retard). Anyways he said the problem started then.

Does anyone have any idea where the problem could be? Or have any advice?

I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fuse constantly blowing.... if everything is in order as of NOW.... then it sounds like a short somewhere.....
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by pheer
fuse constantly blowing.... if everything is in order as of NOW.... then it sounds like a short somewhere.....
Wow! Now, why didn't I think of that?

If you see a guy walking on the side of the highway with a red gas can, do you say "that guy ran out of gas"?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha...

Yeah I am sure there is a short somewhere. Just didn't know if there is a general vicinity to start looking.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Your friend didn't try to disable the daytime running lights did he? If so, have a look at the connections at the DRL module behind the radio. The light blue with white wire is the left T/S input from the switch and the plain light blue wire is the output to the front signals.

Another common problem is corroded front sockets. Although they usually just stop working, it is possible to end up with a short between the T/S wire (light blue again) and ground.

If you don't find a problem in those areas, you can easily determine if front or rear is the problem by unplugging the DRL module. If fuses still blow then the problem is either in the T/S switch or somewhere in the rear T/S wiring. If the fuses stop blowing then the problem is either the DRL module or the wiring between it and the front T/S lamp.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for your help.

I'll start there.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

same issuses on 98 ss blowing number 2 fuse 20 amp turn b/u check the rev switch on t56 trans and internal short. as soon as you put in rev it popped, put a $12 new switch in works perfect.
switch is on the right side of t56
1st quick FREE test, unplug the trans rev switch and put a jumper wire pig tail across 2 pins make sure its in good, paper clip will work, now replace the number 2 fuse, turn the key to run position the rev lights should stay on. also then check turn signals should work. if fuse blows you have issue with turn signal branch or chaffed wire. if a fairly simple circuit.

how to test your old one just pull switch and use conitunity tester touch one pin in switch to threads and push in the ball bearing to act like its in rev if your tester beeps its shorted, try each pin to ground (threads) one at a time.
OR
leave switch installed in trans with shifter in rev (with engine off) and unplug the rev switch. use your meter set to continuity. (the meter beeps when you touch the tester ends together) put one tester lead to trans case anywhere clean spot and the other to each pin on switch(not wire harnes) one at a time if it beeps switch is bad.
the switch is isolated form ground and when goes bad it shorts out turn signal and rev lights
Old 01-03-2016, 04:22 PM

I second that reverse light switch. Had the same issue, there were multiple issues, front turn signal sockets had gotten wet and needed replacement but still didn't work after, fuses kept blowing. Two separate problems really, I replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs when I replaced the sockets and they didn't work, and the reverse switch was what kept blowing the Turn/BU fuse. Replaced the bulbs and the turn signals worked, replaced the switch (took all of 15 minutes to jack up the car and remove/replace the switch) and everything is set now. At $12.99 from Advance Auto As far as how to test for it, I just put in a fresh fuse, turned ignition on without starting the car, put it in reverse, and listened to the fuse pop. Did that 3 times just to be sure. After the switch, all working well.

Last edited by davedsone; 01-03-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Answer already given. Expanded on troubleshooting

Quick Reply: Keep blowing a fuse, no turn signals/back up lights