Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

crappy alarm installs you've come across

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crappy alarm installs you've come across

Another thread made me think of this, but lets share some really crappy aftermarket alarm installs we've had to deal with (not install, but rather remove or fix).

I don't have many stories since I usually don't touch this kind of thing. I can say that my cousin wanted me to remove an alarm from her car that wasn't working well, so I started off trying to find the alarm unit. Turns out it was zip-tied in a very accessible spot under the dash on the driver's side. It had one connector going to it, plus the antenna wire. The connector had maybe 5 wires. Disconnected that connector and bam, alarm's gone. That's that. Wtf? What theft would that have prevented?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened up a car my friends had just bought and we found 3 different alarm systems wired in (but none active).
Old 07-25-2009, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I remember we had a guy bring in about an 01 Nissan Sentra that he tried to install himself..

He had one wire going to the positive of the battery, one to the negative side and used speaker wire that he ran from the brain under the dash through the firewall to the starter itself!

He brought it in and said he had most of the work done, but was stumped and wanted us to finish it for him. haha, eveyone at the shop had a laugh about that one..
Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Teching In

The Bulldog. That is a piece of work. My other favorite is alarms that are twist and tape (T&T). Seriously folks, buy a soldering iron and learn to use it.

My favorite was the one where the whole alarm and underdash was wired with white wires. It was a great idea, but there was no schematic to follow when he had a problem.

I've also, for my personal laughs, hooked up the wipers to the trunk release just to see the puzzled look on my friends face when he couldn't open the trunk but he could clean his windshield from 100 feet away!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Teching In

I love the ones you see having wires run outside the door then under the hood.Are they too dumb to fine a hole in the firewall or know over time the door or hood will wear the coating off.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I love the ones you see having wires run outside the door then under the hood.Are they too dumb to fine a hole in the firewall or know over time the door or hood will wear the coating off.
Ooh, ooh, now that you mention that, I HAVE seen that. IIRC my first car came with that crap. My dad helped me remove it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That reminds me of a guy I know who wired additional lighting on his Gold Wing with the hookup wires running outside the bodywork and an ordinary household light switch zip-tied to the handlebar.