Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help..alt keeps going out

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default need help..alt keeps going out

my alternator keeps going out and i have no idea why...the first time it went out was a few months ago but it was the original one so that was expected so i bought a remanufactured one from autozone. This one went out during a memorial day parade i was in, i revved my car and suddenly it was dead. So i got another one free and a week later i started my car one day and it was dead. Got another one free and this one went out when i got on it to pass someone. Got another one free and this one went out while i was racing an rsx. Finally they gave me my money back and i bought a slightly used factory one off of someone on this forum and at first it was working fine but then i noticed that the voltage started to fluctuate and my dash would start to flicker but it would only do it for a few seconds. Well anyway today I drove my car for a long time and i noticed that my voltage was low the whole time. It started out at 13.8 volts and after about an hour of driving it was down to 12.5 volts and now it just stays there. I know that is the voltage because i have a capacitor with an led voltage readout and my voltage gauge was almost in the red area. I thought it was just some crappy rebuilt alternators but now i really dunno what it is. Does anyone know what it could be?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a system in the car?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

if you have a system makes sure all your power wires arnt being grounded or anything. make sure all your grounds are good. make sure system turns off when radio turns off.
Make sure you have a good battery.
hope this helps
Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
if you have a system makes sure all your power wires arnt being grounded or anything. make sure all your grounds are good. make sure system turns off when radio turns off.
Make sure you have a good battery.
hope this helps
yeah i have a system but i have had it in for a few years now and this problem just began recently...the weird thing is when the alt goes out it is when im actually accelerating hard, and as far as the voltage thing that just started happening like 2 days ago. Also i know my system turns off and my battery is good its just my alternator for some reason.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check your serpentine belt and tensioner to make sure that the belt isn't too loose or glazed so that it is slipping. Slipping causes excessive heat in the alternator that can destroy them quickly. Factory alternators are particularly sensitive to heat - that's why they have that cooling duct on the back. The fact that it seems to happen during hard acceleration suggests that belt slippage might be the problem.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Check your serpentine belt and tensioner to make sure that the belt isn't too loose or glazed so that it is slipping. Slipping causes excessive heat in the alternator that can destroy them quickly. Factory alternators are particularly sensitive to heat - that's why they have that cooling duct on the back. The fact that it seems to happen during hard acceleration suggests that belt slippage might be the problem.
well the belt is definately tight and it looks like it is in very good shape however i may go buy another one just to see if it solves the problem..as for the stereo system that definately isn't the problem, I unhooked all of it today and the problem is still happening
Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Launching!

This sounds weird, but check your plug wires. We had a very similar problem a couple weeks back with a car, did the same thing, changed the alts several times and would act normal until some hard accel and the plug wire would arc to the header, throw the voltage off and blow the regulator on the alt. I might not be the prob, but wont hurt to check it out. G'luck, keep us updated. JP
Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jip99z
This sounds weird, but check your plug wires. We had a very similar problem a couple weeks back with a car, did the same thing, changed the alts several times and would act normal until some hard accel and the plug wire would arc to the header, throw the voltage off and blow the regulator on the alt. I might not be the prob, but wont hurt to check it out. G'luck, keep us updated. JP
o ok thanks for the suggestion...was this guys voltage really low as well? mine stays under 13 volts but the strange thing is if i drive normally for a while the voltage will go up to a lil over 13 but once i stop it will fall back down to around 12.5 volts also i noticed that the dash will really flicker more when my headlights are on
Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 PM

dude buy a new battery and an ac delco reman. alternator total of about 200 and you should be good my denali did the same thing and that cured it
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I wouldn't go to the trouble (and expense) of replacing the belt if it seems okay. You can usually tell if belt slippage is causing alternator problems by looking for heat bluing of the alternator pulley or a shiny pulley (caused by the belt "polishing" the pulley).

I assume you've checked for all the usual things such as corrosion on the battery terminals, shorted cells in the battery, problems with the cables, etc.?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigshastalm
dude buy a new battery and an ac delco reman. alternator total of about 200 and you should be good my denali did the same thing and that cured it
i have a basically brand new factory alternator so why would i buy a remanufactured one?? As for the battery it is pretty new as well but i may upgrade to an optima. As for the belt im gonna borrow one of my friends belts just to see if it really is the belt and if that doesn't solve the problem then i dunno. I actually know a guy that had a similar problem and it ended up being his power steering pulley but i honestly dont think that is it.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I wouldn't go to the trouble (and expense) of replacing the belt if it seems okay. You can usually tell if belt slippage is causing alternator problems by looking for heat bluing of the alternator pulley or a shiny pulley (caused by the belt "polishing" the pulley).

I assume you've checked for all the usual things such as corrosion on the battery terminals, shorted cells in the battery, problems with the cables, etc.?
there is no corrosion on my battery and the cables are fine however i have been thinking about getting an optima for a while so maybe once i get that the problem will go away
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, on a cold start the voltage will be 13.8 around there, but after driving for awhile it will drop down to the yellow especially if the cooling fans kick on.

Interesting you mentioned the power steering pulley as my power steering whines sometimes when I turn the wheel, and the fluid level is full. Keep us updated with any new info.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UCABlackChevy
I have the same problem, on a cold start the voltage will be 13.8 around there, but after driving for awhile it will drop down to the yellow especially if the cooling fans kick on.

Interesting you mentioned the power steering pulley as my power steering whines sometimes when I turn the wheel, and the fluid level is full. Keep us updated with any new info.
actually on a cold start mine will be around 13.2 or 13.3, before it used to actually be a lil over 14 on a cold start. I still have no idea what it could be.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Change the electrical connector on the regulator they are notorious for going bad and losing connection internally and not energizing the alternator. Ran across this a few times at work.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Change the electrical connector on the regulator they are notorious for going bad and losing connection internally and not energizing the alternator. Ran across this a few times at work.
are you talking about the black wire on the back of the alternator that is screwed on with the nut or the connection at the top of the alternator that plugs in??
Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Teching In

not the main lead off the back, there is a small gauge red wire that is connected with a four prong connector to the top of the alternator, i think its the exciter wire??? the part is 30ish unless you have a friend working at the dealership.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get this straightened out yet Jarad? Did you make it up to Jeff's ok?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK00M6
not the main lead off the back, there is a small gauge red wire that is connected with a four prong connector to the top of the alternator, i think its the exciter wire??? the part is 30ish unless you have a friend working at the dealership.
oh you are talking about that...i have already replaced that because i accidentally broke it the second time the alternator was replaced, this voltage issue just started happening recently so i dont think that is the reason. I also noticed that sometimes when im driving and my voltage is low my capacitor wont even have a voltage reading from the battery and also if i push it a lil the voltage will jump back up to normal.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Did you get this straightened out yet Jarad? Did you make it up to Jeff's ok?
i still dont know what the problem is but i made it to jeffs ok, the car drives fine but the voltage is just extremely low