Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ABS inop, Air Bag, BRAKE, High voltage...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ABS inop, Air Bag, BRAKE, High voltage...

I know there's threads on this, but they point to a few different things.. Just need an opinion here..

Last night when I started my car, my lights would get brighter, almost lightly flashing with the RPMs. While driving it didnt seem as bad, but the voltage was jumpy. ABS inop light, Air bag light, and BRAKE lights are on and its reading high voltage (about 18 volts). If I let the RPMs drop below 1k the voltage drops some, but as soon as the RPMs are back up so is the voltage. Lights seem to go off when the voltage isnt so high. Also, while driving both of my brights blew.. Thats when I parked it....

Let it sit all night, blew out any dirt/water in the engine bay with the air compressor... I was thinking bad ground/alt. The alt did get wet before all this happened.. I looked, couldn't find any bad ground or any loose wires.. Everything looks just as it did before the problems. Think its just a bad alt? I've got a warranty for about another 5k miles, so I can bring it to the dealership and have it looked at.. which is what I might do anyway, and just let them deal with it. I just don't like them having my car without me knowing wtf they're doing.. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Sounds like the voltage regulator (built in to the alternator) is gone.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a spot under the dash where all the wires are connected in the car. It is held together with a bolt. Make sure thats tight,
Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Voltage regulator sounds about right. I dont think its anything loose, especially inside the car. Really the only change was the alt got wet.. Thanks for the help though guys, the voltage regulator crossed my mind but then i completely forgot about it.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

Gonna bump this, it happened again.... cleaning the engine bay. I covered up the alt, how much I could anyway... but, same thing anyway. Ive had the alt rested since the last time this happened and they said everything was fine...