Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hatch speaker swap question.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hatch speaker swap question.

I have the monsoon system in my 2001 WS6. I have a set of 4x6's laying around the house and I want to put them in since they're brand new. Anyways the speakers back there now have to different harnesses. Should I resolder them to the new speakers or what? Do I only use one of the harnesses? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Anthony
Old 07-29-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure I just have to solder both connectors to positive and then negative. We'll see how that works. I'm sure it does but I am just making sure.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, don't connect both pairs to the one speaker. For that matter, don't replace the original speakers with misfit oval speakers. Especially not just because you happen to have them lying around. The hatch speakers are merely for rear fill - you don't want a lot of sound from back there.

The factory hatch speakers are separate 4" mids and .75" tweeters - that's why there's two pairs of wires. The mids are powered by the amp and the tweeters are powered by the head unit. Connecting both pairs to one speaker is like bridging an amp that isn't designed for bridging.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

I gotcha. I just used the white plugged harness and used that with the speakers. I had some Cadence 4x6's in the house from an older deal I got. It sounds much better and a lot crisper. I made my own brackets and everything.

Search this Thread