Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Recommendations

I have a trans am with a monsoon system currently in the car. well the sail panel subs like all of them are blown, and i hate pontiac head units. i will be getting a flip out head unit and starting the entire system over.

im looking for speaker size and recommendations for the all of them. so far i have been informed to put 3 or 4way 6x9's in the rear quarter holes with a small amount of trimming. i will replace the sail panels with a 6.5" mid bass driver and im unsure what to get for the front and if i will need tweeters.

if anybody could post me a list of what speakers i need or what they used, that would be great. i would like to stay middle of the road on quality of speakers. no sony stuff!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

i have polk audio all the way around and its amazing stock sizes to
Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No 6x9s in the hatch area! First, they won't fit without major trim panel modification. Second, you don't need that much sound coming from that far behind you. Third, 6x9s are inferior technology equivalent to 8-track players.

All of the speaker sizes and other information such as signal filtering from the Monsoon amp are in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum. A little searching will find hundreds of threads about speaker preferences so there's plenty of opinions to help you choose. Also, contact Kee Audio (a sponsor here) for some advice. He carries complete kits of aftermarket replacement speakers chosen to work well with the factory setup.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for polk. voices sound amazing with them. couldnt ask for it to be any better (considering amount they cost me). also, no to 6x9s which are terrible. You dont want oval speakers, they mathematically will have worse sound than circular ones.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

sony is not good for car audio so what do you mean middle of the road anywayz good speakers would be memphis , pioneer , kicker/mtx 6-1/2" speakers