Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Confused as hell and need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused as hell and need help.

First off I just want to state that I don't know much of anything when it comes to audio. It's never been real important to me when it comes to a car as long as I have a decent sounding system. I bought my car with the stereo already modfied. It's all stock as far as I know with the exception of a sub and an amp. The problem I'm running into now is that whenever a song heavy in base, mainly anything rap but some rock too, is turned up loud I get a popping or crackling sound when it hits a heavy base note. Other than that every thing sounds great. I'm pretty sure that all of the speakers were amped and not just the sub. I checked out the thread about replacing the speakers with a Monsoon system but still don't know exactly what I need. Should I replace all the speakers or just a certain one. I'm on a bit of budget so I'd like to save where I can but don't want to cut any corners. Anyway, I'm just confused and don't trust talking to anybody at some shop. Just want to make sure I get what's needed to fix the problem, I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

I've included a few pictures of the modifications to the system, if it helps.

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=273611

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=273612

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=273613
Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Do the factory speakers pop? If they do, its probaby because the factory speakers are shot (or foam surrounds are gone). Just pop off the grills (just pry from one corner and they pop off). then look at factory speakers, try Knee audio everybody who has purchased from Ian is very pleased with his selection of replacements. I hope info helpful.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

check the rubber surrounding your subs...i had a problem with my aplines 12's and found out the glue that hold the rubber was coming off and it was making a horrible popping sound. took some 3M super glue and just kept fixing it as it was coming off. eventually i reglued the entire rubber and never had a problem since. good luck.

btw MR.CPG Trans Am nice system!! how is your backglass holding up? that's a lot of hump in that trunk!!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Ok... finally had a day off to take a look at my speakers. I was listening a little closer to my system and isolated which speaker was popping. It's one of the right rear subs in the hatch. Just to make sure I unplugged it and cranked it up, sure enough it stopped popping. Could the amp pushing too much power have caused this? I was planning on replacing them both with the subs recommended in the FAQ thread, the Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 6.5. I just want to make sure that they won't end up getting damaged in the same way just a bit down the road. I have no idea what the power output on the aftermarket amp I have is so... just a little unsure of how to proceed. Thanks for all the help so far too. By encouraging me to dig a little deeper myself you've already saved me a lot of money.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, your hatch speakers? 6.5"s? I think we have some confusion going on here. I recommend you unplug your hatch speakers (totally removing them is optional) and either get a 10" or 12" subwoofer setup in the hatch, or at least go with some Peerless SLS in the sail panels (back seat). Since you have your own amp, the SLS will be a good choice. But a 6.5" woofer or even subwoofer is not going to keep up with a 10" or 12", so you'll need to figure out what you want to do.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Teching In

I already have a subwoofer in the back, it's in the pictures above. I'll be perfectly happy with the sound of the car as it is now just without the popping. I'm not looking to step anything up.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

If you have that then just use it + front speakers.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your popping could be a bad speaker or just a distorted signal from the head unit.

I would get an aftermarket head unit (a good one can be had for ~200 or less) and replace the bad speakers, if you have any, or just unplug them as others mentioned.

Since you mentioned not wanting to upgrade, you might be able to just turn the bass down on your HU to keep it from popping.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

I thought about just disconnecting it but it really cut down on the overall quatlity. Other wise I would've just disconnected it. I just went to a stereo shop today, priced out a Kenwood Epsilon if I remember correctly. That should take care of the new unit and I'll soon be replacing the speakers. Forgot to mention that my CD's have been skipping real bad since I've been in an accident.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you need someone to take a look at it for you or help you figure out whats wrong let me know. I live in Decatur near the cub foods and have been installing for years, always more then willing to lend a hand
Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Damn, I appreciate the offer and was actually in Decatur today visiting my parents. I actually live in Terre Haute, IN right now. I probably won't make it back over until several weeks but just wanted to thank you for the offer, I appreciate it.