Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

i wana buy 2 sail speakers for my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i wana buy 2 sail speakers for my car

i need the two subwoofer sail speakers for the side rear seat area. if u have a good pair ,let me know.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

have u looked in to keeaudio site ?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How will they be amplified? Monsoon amp? Your own amp? Head unit?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
have u looked in to keeaudio site ?
i looked on this site and seems really nice except for the speakers are 4 ohm isnt all the f bodys 2ohm?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzkill_75
i looked on this site and seems really nice except for the speakers are 4 ohm isnt all the f bodys 2ohm?
No, Camaros have single voice coil 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, Firebirds have dual voice coil 4-ohm subs there. In either case, a DVC 4-ohm speaker can be wired to match the factory configuration (straight wiring in Firebirds, parallel wiring in Camaros).
Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, Camaros have single voice coil 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, Firebirds have dual voice coil 4-ohm subs there. In either case, a DVC 4-ohm speaker can be wired to match the factory configuration (straight wiring in Firebirds, parallel wiring in Camaros).
thanks for the info. im still new to the f body world my last was a 87 iroc over 15 years ago. it figures gm would make two almost identical cars and then change the basic components of the audio system.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for the info. im still new to the f body world my last was a 87 iroc over 15 years ago. it figures gm would make two almost identical cars and then change the basic components of the audio system.
I also had a third gen Camaro, and let me tell you, the audio system was total crap. Everything they changed was for the better. 4x6" and 6x9"? Dash speakers that are a pain to change? DO NOT WANT!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I also had a third gen Camaro, and let me tell you, the audio system was total crap. Everything they changed was for the better. 4x6" and 6x9"? Dash speakers that are a pain to change? DO NOT WANT!
sorry if i was a little unclear. I just meant between the TA and the camaro of gen 4 that the wiring was different.

I whole heartedly agree with you about the 3rd gen to 4th gen improvement.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Actually, GM considered the Firebird a step up from the Camaro so they installed a slightly different audio system that had more speakers and twice as much power to the sail panel subs. I seriously doubt that would have influenced anyone's buying decision but it was a marketing thing.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Too bad they made it look worse!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Teching In

so if i get a monsoon amp with a TA part number will i have the increased power to the sails? or is all my wiring wrong for the application?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No. The increased power to the sail panels in a Firebird comes from the fact that they used dual voice coil subs there and connected two separate channels from the amp to each side. Merely changing the amp won't work. The amp and the wiring are different in many other ways besides the sail panel subs - Firebirds have separate tweeters front and rear that are powered directly off the head unit whereas all speakers in Camaros are powered by the amp. Also, Firebirds use mostly 4-ohm speakers but Camaros use 2-ohm.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

No. The increased power to the sail panels in a Firebird comes from the fact that they used dual voice coil subs there and connected two separate channels from the amp to each side. Merely changing the amp won't work. The amp and the wiring are different in many other ways besides the sail panel subs - Firebirds have separate tweeters front and rear that are powered directly off the head unit whereas all speakers in Camaros are powered by the amp. Also, Firebirds use mostly 4-ohm speakers but Camaros use 2-ohm.
oh good lord. so i have to find a 2 ohm mid driver or a 4 ohm dvc mid driver right?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You have to match the sail panel speaker to the amp you're using. If you have a Camaro with a Camaro amp, you need either a 2-ohm SVC or a 4-ohm DVC sub (you can wire the dual voice coils in parallel to make the 2-ohm load for the amp). If you have a Firebird, you need a 4-ohm DVC sub.

If you you have a Camaro and put in a Firebird amp, you will need a 4-ohm DVC sub but you will also have to rewire so that the eight channel outputs of the amp go to the right places. That means only one channel to each door instead of the two that the Camaro came with. And two channels to each sail panel instead of the one that the Camaro came with. Then the door tweeters would have to be wired to the head unit instead of the amp.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Teching In

You have to match the sail panel speaker to the amp you're using. If you have a Camaro with a Camaro amp, you need either a 2-ohm SVC or a 4-ohm DVC sub (you can wire the dual voice coils in parallel to make the 2-ohm load for the amp). If you have a Firebird, you need a 4-ohm DVC sub.

If you you have a Camaro and put in a Firebird amp, you will need a 4-ohm DVC sub but you will also have to rewire so that the eight channel outputs of the amp go to the right places. That means only one channel to each door instead of the two that the Camaro came with. And two channels to each sail panel instead of the one that the Camaro came with. Then the door tweeters would have to be wired to the head unit instead of the amp.
alright thanks for the help i have a camaro and im just gonna leave the amp alone and replace the sail speakers.

Quick Reply: i wana buy 2 sail speakers for my car