Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tail Light out but not Bulb?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light out but not Bulb?????

Not sure if this is the right section but I'll give it a try. My left side tail lights will light up but not get brighter when I hit the brake. However the other side does. I just replaced one of the bulbs that was out on the left side. Is there anything that I could have hit to mess this up? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Check your fuses maby? Arent the brake lights in one of the 2 coil bulbs? Maby just your brake light coil is out?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure on the LS1 camaros but on my 95 T/A i had this same problem which was due to a bad wiring harness. the LT1 Firebirds used the 2057 twist in bulbs with the 2 prongs under them and the wiring harnesses were notorious for failure. i was told this by trans am creations in miami. they suggested i come down and buy an LS1 T/A style wiring harness and bulbs and that would fix it. sure enough that did fix it and it's been about 4 years and other than one of the used bulbs i got from them burning out, i havent had a single taillight problem since. it's possible your taillight harness has gone bad due to age or there is a bad connection. IIRC on the T/A the wiring harness is 1 piece but there is a left side plug and a right side plug so the lights are most likely in 2 separate circuits. i don't know if thats your problem or not but my taillights would do what you described as well as blinking in sequence instead of together. i would also randomly lose one whole side of lights when i applied the brakes.

*edit* i see your lights won't get brighter when you hit the brakes. mine would go out completely so maybe it's something else but it still could be the harness. are you sure the bulbs you have are dual stage?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have the right bulbs in there and check the collector for gunk or corrosion. If you find any gunk/dirt in the connector you can clean it with WD40. Make sure you use dielectric grease when you install bulbs to help prevent corrosion.

How about the center brake light? Does it work?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably a defective bulb because they have two coils per bulb. You try switching the bulb that works with the one that doesnt. That will eliminate the defective bulb problem.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

FIXED!!!!! One of the coils was bad in the bulb. Thanks Guys!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

where did you get your harnest for the tail lights mine is realy getting on my nerves. i have replaced everything you can think of. and more. thanks

Quick Reply: Tail Light out but not Bulb?????