Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My dealership purposely damaged my car?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dealership purposely damaged my car?

My trans-am antenna will not retract all the way. I'm not sure the date but it was right at or around when I got my car serviced. When the radio is on it extends up all the way up but with the radio off the antenna retracts and stick up about 5 inchs. When I took out the spare tire and was looking at the power antenna motor. The silver metal "pipe" sticking up that the antenna actually retracts into is bent right where the upper mount is.(looking from the inside it is bent 2inchs below the open end of the tube, antenna mast taken out) I can't even bend the tube stright so it took some force to be bent. It's not the mast, i bought a new one and it also won't fully retract. Has anyone heard of this? I can't find anything on the web. Did my dealer do it on purpose?(I think dealerships are VERY sheisty) Someone could of maybe taken a screw driver or something else metal to it. Since the motor is mounted they could slip something behind the motor's tube and with both hands pull and bend it. Rubbing my finger behind suspected bent site it feels as if the metal pipe is collapsed, might be in my head. Please post and thought, advice, or anything that can help. I never got the problem fixed so before I buy the motor now I need to know if my dealership messed it on on purpose.

This is a link containing a picture of the power antenna motor assembly. It is below the picture of the purple f-body. The part that's bent is the longer silver metal guide tube that the mast actually slides back into. The bend is near the top.
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Power...s%20Chrome.jpg

Last edited by InoCybe; 08-22-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did that when i wasnt paying attention and hit my garage door with it. The anttena was all the way up and it was almost tuching the rear glass. Anyways when i turned it off it would go down except for about 6 inches of it. I just turned the radio off and pushed the antenna all the way in and now its fine. not the correct way to fix it works for me
Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

thanks, but all the pushing in the world wont fix mine. You bent the MAST and I have a bend in the hollow tube or tunnel the mast retracts into, if I take something with a smaller diameter and try to put into the guide tube it also will not go in past the bend. If you bent yours when mine is bent the mast wouldn't go in all the way. Thanks for the reply tho.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i didnt mess with really looking at it ... i was late for work and just bent it back and then shoved it the rest of the way in
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

So you're automatic assumption is the dealership purposely did it?

I highly doubt that. At least observe the situation before making those claims. Those antennas always have problems.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Teching In

I know power antenna mast fail and I know power antenna motor's fail, but the kinda thick metal tube gets bent? It would take some force to bend the pipe, you would have to use a lever. I can't figure out what could cause the metal pipe to bend, noting else in that area is bent, besides if i hit a pot hole REAL hard(I didn't, but what else can bend the metal tube) why did the strongest part of the motor assembly bend, why didn't the mounts bend. If some natural force exerted pressure against the assembly there are many, much weaker, points that it could fail. This problem I'm having isn't due to overuse or common break down, on f-bodys I'm use to the little things I gotta repair. Anyone should take their spare out and look at the metal tube the antenna mast retracts into and tell me what you think could of bent the once straight pipe. I can't find anything online and cant see the body/frame flexing causing this damage. No one else drives my car, the only other people that have EVER had my keys is my dealership. I'm not blamming them, I wondering and asking everyone here to voice their opinion. If I was convinced they did it I would have gone up there the moment I found out.
I use to be a car tech also, I know it's a pain(dealing with people), and I know they "generate" their own business(not all, but we all know some do)
Since no one has any answers, taking 5min take take out your spare and look at the metal tube running up towards the antenna mast mounting point would be very helpful.
Besides I'm disabled vet and my VA money has to stretch very, very far.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love my fixed antenna,lol
Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its common for dumbass service porters to keep the radio on while their in the car running it through the wash and as we all know, on the Trans Ams..if the radio is on the antenna is up! Its actually more common then you may think. If they washed your car then thats probably what happened! This is why you're suppose to go over the car with the service writer when you drop it off AND when you pick it up! Any and all damage is to be documented on the repair order prior to you leaving.

When you take you car to the dealer (or anywhere for that matter for repair) follow these steps:
1- handwash the car at home before you take it in.
2- THOROUGHLY check the car over for any damage (nicks, scratches, dents ect...). Check your tires for screws, nails, and tread. Check the interior for dirt and if possible clean the interior.
3- Also check the fenders lower mounting points (4th gen f-bodies). Make sure the fender isn't broken where it bolts to the chassis and also make sure the mounting tab isn't bent either(improper usage of a lift post on these cars will break the fenders). Make sure everything works as it should (including the power antenna if you have one).
4- Go over all this stuff with the service writer when you drop off the car and anything that is wrong should be documented and signed off on by both parties (on both copies)
5- Specifically state "DO NOT WASH MY CAR PLEASE" and make sure the writer puts that on the Repair Order too.
6-Document the mileage as of the minute you dropped off the car and make sure the service writer acknowledges the correct mileage.
7- When you pick-up the car go over all this stuff again while in their lot. If there are any issues be sure to immediately get the service writer that you originally went over this stuff with before. DO NOT GO HOME AND THEN DO IT AND DO NOT WAIT A WEEK AND THEN SAY IT MAY HAVE HAPPENED AT THE DEALER Its on you if you can't prove it happened there.
The dealer WILL take care of it if you can prove it happened on their watch and with these steps you can avoid just about all mishaps. This may seem like BS but remember its your car we're talking about and no one will care about your car as much as you do!

I work at a dealer and have worked at one for 10 years...a little extra care from you will help when there is an issue!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

eh, you can prepare all you want. last time we took my sister's car to the mazda dealer, they admitted they mistakenly broke a strut when loading it but still expected us to pay for a new one. That was a fun one.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
eh, you can prepare all you want. last time we took my sister's car to the mazda dealer, they admitted they mistakenly broke a strut when loading it but still expected us to pay for a new one. That was a fun one.
They admittedly broke the strut and expected you to pay for it??? Umm..can you say local newspaper! I would love for my dealer to even try that one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My dealership purposely damaged my car?