Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need suggestions on new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need suggestions on new front speakers

Okay well i have the CDT CL-61 speakers up front but they really get distorted when I turn the music up and its not even really loud. I can barely hear it with the t-tops off and the windows down. Cash isnt a problem but would like to stay around 300-350 for the front speakers just want to get rid of that distortion. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Get rid of the head unit. Unless the speakers are damaged, the head unit is what's causing distortion - especially at higher volume. I have CDT speakers in my doors and I can turn them up to almost the threshold of pain without distortion (Kenwood head unit).
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speakers can only reproduce the signal they are given. If your looking for more output and higher volume levels your going to need more power and a cleaner signal.
I don't recall your current upgrades other then the speakers but to increase power levels and decrease distortion an aftermarket HU would be in order to feed a cleaner signal to the amp. The stock Monsoon HU is a distortion box. The Monsoon amp just makes it louder. By using a quality aftermarket unit you give the amp a clean signal.
Second issue is that the Monsoon only puts out about 45watts RMS per channel. Beyond that it's going to start to distort the signal and your going to get what your getting. The CL-E6 drivers in the CL-61's will handle 80watts RMS full range and 100watts RMS through the crossovers which is way more then the Monsoon puts out but the Monsoon system starts to distort at higher volume levels, especially with the stock HU. For you to get the volume level your looking for out of them you would benefit from an aftermarket amp to power them.
Let me know what you have in the car currently and I can work with you on getting what you want out of the system. I can even help you on a discount for swapping out what you have already!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now my system consist of a kenwood KDC-X693 , the cdt's up front and ed eu-700 subs in the sail panels I have no hatch speakers and its still on the stock amp. Im buying a stealthbox and a jl w3 from my friend for 50 bucks so ill need a new amp anyways so id be happy for you to help me out on that one kee. As far as the front speakers go id like to keep them there good quality and I love the sound just not up high when I get the distortion. when all is said and done ill have the cdt's up front the ed's in the sails and the jl w3 in the rear. also the wires are all hooked up via splices. would I be better to go through with a soldering gun and solder all the wires togther ?

Last edited by headed-ws6; 08-25-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soldering may help to get a more solid connection but the distortion is more because of over powering the stock amp causing distortion. You have the makings of a nice system. Sounds like your just trying to get more then the stock amp is willing to do.
I'd recommend a nice 5-channel amp to power the whole system. This is 2 amps in one. It has a 4-channel for the front and rear speakers in addition to a sub channel all in one amplifier so it simplifies things. Me and several others use these types of amps with great results. I'll PM you with a list of amps I think you might like in several price ranges and power ranges that would work well with what you have.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kee,
I'm looking to do the same thing could you PM me the same info? Along with a sub in the storage in back.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I also like/recommend 4/5 channel amps, too. 4 for fronts+rears or fronts+subwoofer (2 of them bridged to make 3 channels) or 5 for front+rear+sub or fronts (actively crossed) + subwoofer