Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What speakers get powered by the amp in monsoon camaros?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What speakers get powered by the amp in monsoon camaros?

I have a 2002 coupe w/ monsoon.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took out a Monsoon system awhile back. If you have a problem with yours there is really only two clean ways to go. Option 1 Get factory new or used replacement speakers, head unit of whatever is broke. Option 2 - take it all out, put in new head unit speakers amp etc. The reason is they use speakers that are I think 2 or 3 ohm and that little amp won't do well with much else. Also the head unit powers some speakers. Unless this is a collector car I would just replace eveything with Crutchfield stuff and sell the old stuff on Ebay. You can spend under $1000 and sound way better than the factory system.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
I took out a Monsoon system awhile back. If you have a problem with yours there is really only two clean ways to go. Option 1 Get factory new or used replacement speakers, head unit of whatever is broke. Option 2 - take it all out, put in new head unit speakers amp etc. The reason is they use speakers that are I think 2 or 3 ohm and that little amp won't do well with much else. Also the head unit powers some speakers. Unless this is a collector car I would just replace eveything with Crutchfield stuff and sell the old stuff on Ebay. You can spend under $1000 and sound way better than the factory system.
I just want to know what specific speakers are powered by the amp and which (if any) are powered by the headunit. I'm not sure if I am going to replace them at this time as they all still work *knock on wood*.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Actually, the reason I asked the question is I have seen some folks pull the wires from the hatch speakers to wire 4 ohm full range in the sails. I have heard conflicting views that the hatch speakers in a camaro are powerd by the amp or the headunit. If the amp powers them this may be an option to get more speaker choices and relocated the midbass to the rear (hatch) with modification of course.

Also, anyone know if the monsoon power is outputted equally among all channels? do certain channels get more power?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hatch speakers are 4ohm and the sail mids and fronts are 2ohms. the fronts and sails are powered by the amp for sure. not sure on the hatch, if they are powered or just circuit thru the amp
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What speakers get powered by the amp in monsoon camaros?

The eight channel amp powers all speaker elements in the Camaro coupe and all convertibles. It powers all speakers except the tweeters in Firebird coupes.

Monsoon FAQ
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shoemike
I find information that conflicts with the faq. other popular ls1 sites have faqs that say the hatch run of of the headunit along with the front tweeters. they also say the amp is a four channel amp. maybe those sites got it wrong (cz28.com and ls1.com) I was wondering if anyone has checked to be absolutely sure they run off of the amp. The faq also doesn't mention if certain channels get more power than others.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Depends on year and model.
The Camaro and Firebird are wired differently and have different speakers.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Monsoon FAQ was written using both the factory service manual and actual experience. Both Camaros and Firebirds have 8-channel amps but the channels are used differently. Camaro amps power all eight speakers. Firebirds have ten speakers plus DVC sail panel subs so they have four extra connections to be made. Therefore they run the four tweeters (door and hatch) from the head unit and use the amp's eight channels to power everything else.

The different power levels by channel (if any) aren't listed because they aren't documented anywhere and I didn't care enough to do any testing.

I used to spend a bunch of time at ls1.com but I found that too many "contributers" there don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Quick Reply: What speakers get powered by the amp in monsoon camaros?