Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to solder wires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to solder wires?

I have the eurolights sealed beam conversion kit for my Trans Am and want to solder the wires instead of just electrical tape or something. My question is, can I just solder the wires together straight up? or do I need something in between them. Yes I am a total noob so go easy on me
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by patriot1136
My question is, can I just solder the wires together straight up?
Not if you want them to hold. Solder is not a weld or a structural connection, so you'll need a crimp connector to really hold things. (It just gives you better electrical contact across the wires. GM dealers apply special crimp clips that also takes solder.)

If you want to avoid buying special tools, you should probably go with a good structural crimp connector and use heat shrink tubing, tape, etc. to seal it from the elements.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the best connection:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/guidadv_...lashsplice.jsp
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I solder most connections and use heat shrink tubing to seal the connection (make sure you slip the tubing over the wire before soldering). It works well. My method is to interleave & twist the wires together (ex: -----===------) and solder that connection. There are some soldering guides around including on YouTube. The basic premise is to heat the connection and touch the solder to the hot connection. The solder will flow into the connection. Make sure you get good solder penetration and coverage. The completed connection should be a shiny silver. Be careful not to overheat the connection and cause damage to the part.

You can also solder crimp connections. Use connectors that don't have a plastic or rubber cover or cut the cover off. Slip heat shrink tubing over the wire (back down away from the connection for now). Crimp the connection like normal. Heat the connection with a soldering iron. Touch the solder to the connection and make sure to get good coverage and penetration where the wire inserts into the connection. Then slip the heat shrink tubing over the connection and use a lighter to shrink the tubing. Avoid touching the flame to the tubing. Depending on the tubing you have, it may melt instead of shrinking. There are different size shrink tubing and different size solder. Use the size tubing that fits the connection but is slightly larger so there is a little room to move.

I prefer thin rosin-core solder. You can find it at Radio Shack and other electrics parts places. Its easy to work with and you don't have to worry about flux. Don't breath the fumes though.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-09-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Get yourself some of the shrink tube that has a sealant inside. It's meant for wet locations. Much better seal than just plain shrink tube. Personally, I've never had good luck with rosin-core solder. Much easier with flux, and don't be shy with the flux. That's what sucks the solder into the wire. Make sure to tin your connections first. Makes it that much easier. I also have never had to worry about using a crimp connector on top of solder in the connection. If you run your wiring correctly with stress relief points you will not have any issues. Just my .02
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I pretty much always use rosin-core solder. It works for me. I guess it comes down to personal preference and experience with the different materials.

My reference to crimp connections was more for terminals than butt connectors. I guess I should have clarified. If I'm soldering, I don't bother with butt connectors.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
I pretty much always use rosin-core solder. It works for me. I guess it comes down to personal preference and experience with the different materials.

My reference to crimp connections was more for terminals than butt connectors. I guess I should have clarified. If I'm soldering, I don't bother with butt connectors.
Oh, for sure a personal preference.

Gotcha on the connectors. I was kind of wondering.