Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Optima Yellowtop...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Yellowtop...worth it?

So I've noticed lately that my car has been having a little more trouble than usual when starting up. It used to start almost instantly when I turned the key, now it has to turn over a few times. I had the dealership check it out when I got an oil change last week and they said my battery was putting out low voltage and I needed a new one.

I have a roughly 1000 watt sound system, wired to a Stinger powercell in the trunk, which is wired to my battery. So obviously the main battery is a little more strained than it usually would be. Now I have heard nothing but good things about Optima batteries, specifically the Yellow Top, but is it worth the price over a regular battery? Optima's website recommended me the D75/25 model. Cheapest I found it was $170 on Amazon with free shipping. The dealership quoted me $140 for a new battery but I'm sure I could find it cheaper elsewhere.

Would a new stock battery be fine considering I have a powercell? Or is the Yellow Top really that much better? I'm not one to half *** anything on my car, as you can see from my choice of headers and exhaust; I want everything working perfectly. I just want to be sure my money is being well spent, as I'm also currently saving for new rear tires...new clutch...new master cylinder...etc. Any feedback from those who have a yellowtop? How are things running/how long do these batteries typically last?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

I just replaced my 3 year old optima yellow top with another yellow top from Autozone. Partial warranty. I think they are worth it. 189.99 + tax is what I paid for mine.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might also look into the DieHard Platinum series of batteries - they are also AGM, and I've had good luck with my 34/78. The 34/78 does require some work to get it in there, but I was able to get it to fit just fine after cutting off the locating tabs on the battery tray.

Regardless of the brand, if you want a good battery, I'd recommend stepping up to the larger size - yes, they are heavy, but they put out much better numbers than their smaller brothers. They aren't a direct fit, but don't require much modification to make them work.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo the optima's are very problematic and i wouldnt go with them. that said 1000 watts isnt that big and u should have no issues with it. I would look into the big3 upgrade along with your new battery.

A buddy of mine ran 2400rms sub stage and then 75x4rms for his speakers on a stock alternator and a autozone battery with big3 upgrade for over a year no issues with the charging system.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Optima red top has more cranking power than the yellow top. The yellow top is a deep cycle battery. It is designed to withstand repeated draining and recharging mostly from running your audio system without the car running. Since your system isn't huge, the choice is yours based on the expected usage. If you like to use your system without the car running, go with the yellow top. If you prefer more starting power, go with the red top.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with whitebird. I'd go with the Red Top. I ran about 900 watts rms through a red top, didnt upgrade the big three or alternator. Drive in movies, hanging out in the car, no problems ever.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok looks like I'm gunna go with a red top. It's cheaper and I don't think I need the deep cycle of the yellow top. My powercell should take care of running my system when the car is off, which I don't do for long. Thanks for the input everyone.

Quick Reply: Optima Yellowtop...worth it?