Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding aftermarket amp to Monsoon Head Unit

Old 09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding aftermarket amp to Monsoon Head Unit

I want to add a sub amp to the factory head unit. What all do I need? Just the Pac OEM-1? Not really sure.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

U need a regular LOC, tapped into your sail panel speakers for signal. Your power wire kit to go from the battery and acc source to your amp and ground to amp , your rca's to go from that LOC to your amp.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are adding a sub amp to the factory system, the you probably aren't looking for that bone-rattling bass that some people want. I had an Infinity Bass Link in mine (it is a 10" sub with a built-in 150 watt amp all in one enclosure). I just tapped into the rear speaker leads since the Bass Link had speaker-level inputs. Ran a good power wire from the battery, good short ground wire in the trunk the same gauge as the power wire, and used the remote lead from the power antenna. Sounded great to me.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

What is a LOC? I found a PAC OEM 2 for $29.99 it has everything to tap into the oem speakers and amp. It also has the RCA jacks and remote wire for aftermarket amp.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

LOC = Line Output Converter. Use This.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use a line out converter from the rear speakers if you like, but if you are a cheap *** (like me) you can also just cut the heads off of some RCA cables and splice them directly into the outputs behind the radio.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by slow96z
You can use a line out converter from the rear speakers if you like, but if you are a cheap *** (like me) you can also just cut the heads off of some RCA cables and splice them directly into the outputs behind the radio.
That will sometimes work but it isn't a good idea. RCAs are designed to carry pre-amp (line level) signal. The output from the head unit is speaker level (already amplified). This is a much higher signal level than the amp is designed to handle on its RCA inputs. At the very least you would get distortion at higher volume settings. Worst case, it could destroy your amp. Being cheap can come back to bite you.

Of course, in your 96 (if it has the Bose system), the head unit output is line level anyway so it will work as input to an amp. The same cannot be said for a Monsoon system.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did that work? That is speaker level output not line level which is much lower. RCA output is low line level output and what your describing going into an amp would sound like crap usually.
You can do that if the amp has high level input but that is seperate from the RCA input generally and doing that on a standard low level RCA input should not work properly. That's why you use a line level converter or LOC as mentioned above.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's true if you are doing it from a conventional head unit that is putting out speaker power, but since we are dealing with an amplified Monsoon system the radio is already only putting out pre-amp power.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That's true if you are doing it from a conventional head unit that is putting out speaker power, but since we are dealing with an amplified Monsoon system the radio is already only putting out pre-amp power.
No, the Monsoon head unit is just an ordinary Delco radio. It puts out speaker level signal.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's interesting, my reply was based on the assumption that the Monsoon system was amplified externally, in which case the radio would be putting out reduced power. I guess I stand corrected.

I have done car audio professionally and am pretty familiar with what a LOC is and the function of RCA's. The way I said to do it is what I have dont on several Bose and Infinity systems, but all of those were externally amplified. Admittedly I had not done one on a Monsoon system, was just operating under assumption.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding aftermarket amp to Monsoon Head Unit