Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

99 Trans Am Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 99 Trans Am Aux Input

I've searched around and came up with this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html

I read that a certain wire will not work with stereos before 2000 and some late 1999s.

Is there a wire I can buy that will get me aux in? Or will the mod above work on my stereo? The picture below is the type of head unit I have. It doesn't have the dedicated "aux" button. If I splice through the CD wire on the mod, will I still be able to use both, aux and CD?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

None of the Firebird radios have an AUX button - that came only on Camaro radios. The equivalent in the Firebird is the CD/Play button that you have. However, that doesn't mean that your system will work with an auxiliary adapter. They all require head units that support an external CD changer. All cassette head units had this support but CD head units only got it in late 99. So, CD head units from 2000 up all work but 1999 is a gamble... some work, some don't. If you have a CD changer then you know the adapters will work but you will have to give up your changer. They can't both be connected at the same time (well, they can but they'll both play at the same time which sounds awful).

The internal modification (known as the Jason Novak mod) will work even if your head unit wouldn't support an external changer or auxiliary adapter.

Neither method will have any affect on the single CD player built into the head unit - it will still work normally. Use the CD/Play button to toggle between the internal CD and the auxiliary connection.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
None of the Firebird radios have an AUX button - that came only on Camaro radios. The equivalent in the Firebird is the CD/Play button that you have. However, that doesn't mean that your system will work with an auxiliary adapter. They all require head units that support an external CD changer. All cassette head units had this support but CD head units only got it in late 99. So, CD head units from 2000 up all work but 1999 is a gamble... some work, some don't. If you have a CD changer then you know the adapters will work but you will have to give up your changer. They can't both be connected at the same time (well, they can but they'll both play at the same time which sounds awful).

The internal modification (known as the Jason Novak mod) will work even if your head unit wouldn't support an external changer or auxiliary adapter.
Neither method will have any affect on the single CD player built into the head unit - it will still work normally. Use the CD/Play button to toggle between the internal CD and the auxiliary connection.
Thanks for all the information. I am probably not going to try and find out if my 99 head unit will work. The Jason Novak mod seems easy enough and head that route. Just wanted to make sure of the part that's bolded.

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Is there a wire I can buy that will get me aux in? Or will the mod above work on my stereo? The picture below is the type of head unit I have. It doesn't have the dedicated "aux" button. If I splice through the CD wire on the mod, will I still be able to use both, aux and CD?

I can probably help you I did a mod on my 94 camaro wich would probably work on yours as well, just take the radio aprt, look at the cd player it probably has the circuits labled you are looking for LCH RCH check out my wirte up here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post12827495

feel free to ask me any questions, and take some pics ounce you have it appart I might be able to assist you -Jamie

Last edited by 94camaroz28lt1; 01-31-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added a link

Quick Reply: 99 Trans Am Aux Input