Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Building system and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building system and need advice

I wanted to get peoples opinions on what i should do for my 98 z28 sound system. As of now it is completely stock I believe, and it is not the monsoon system. I have listed some of the car audio components I have, and if someone could comment on them if it would be good for my needs then it would be appreciated.

For the head unit I have a Nakamichi TD-560-my father says it was good at the time and it still works.
For amps I have two available.
Rockford fosgate p4004 or alpine mrv-f353
The rockford looks nicer....
for music i would probably get an mp3 player to plug into the input of head unit.
I have a few different 6 by 9s:
audition model 69TR53 ( 8OHM impedance, max power 150w, 60oz magnet circuit) the magnet on these is pretty big
Also have sparkomatic sk693, 10oz, 40W norm-80W max 4-8 ohms 30-17,000Hz. the magent on these looks pretty small.
Also have visonik v629a- they are 6 "x 9" 2-Way Full Range Speaker,
200 W Rms 200W Rms, 400W Max 400W Max, Frequency Response 50 Hz - 22 kHz, Sensitivity 90.2dB 1W/1M
These look cool, but im told need a lot of power. http://translate.google.ca/translate...%26channel%3Ds
the link above is one of the few things i could find on them.

I was thinking of putting the 6 by 9s in the rear hatch area possibly in the side plastic. Thinking of maybe a 8 or 10 inch sub in a stealth box on the drivers side which i would make.

also have some speakers 4inch speakers. crm-40.
I listen to dance, trance, house, rock, and some drum and base.

I do not need to be heard by the neighbours just want something that sounds better then the crap gm put in there.

All comments and advice are welcome.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

6x9 speakers don't fit anywhere in your car without modification, they aren't good speakers anyway (compared to equivalent round speakers), and you don't want such a large sound source all the way in the back of the car.

In fact, if you don't have a Monsoon system then you don't have speaker grilles in the rear quarter trim panels. Only the Monsoon system had hatch area speakers. Check your door sticker for option code UZ7 to confirm if you have Monsoon or not.

The Rockford is a 4-channel amp and the Alpine is 5-channel. You could use the Alpine to power door and sail panel speakers (6.5" round) plus a sub. With the Rockford, you would be looking at getting another amp for your sub.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Launching!

yah i know theres no grill in the back so i would fab something up to put them in, but if you dont think I should put them there I wont. Is the alpine any good to use, if not ill use the fosgate and see about using another amp for a sub. What speaker should i be using in the sail panels?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What's your budget?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Launching!

not alot, another issue is too that I am in canada and for whatever reason parts are always harder to find here. I looked at what kee audio was selling since they seem to be highly recommended but I cant find those speakers at all on the web for a Toronto store. i was hoping to get away with being under 200, as the higher we get the closer it gets to header territory. I have tweeters that were given to me that are suppose to sound decent so I can put those somewhere, not sure I like the idea of putting them in the A pillar though.
Also just checked the door speakers and their a kenwood with looks like a tiny speakers in the middle. I will take them out later for the model number. Hoping to possibly keep them there pick up some sail panel speakers and the sub for the stealth enclosure.
I already have a fair bit of speaker wire that are different gauges. If i can find the speakers suggested used I have no problem with that.

Edit:
Found a alpine type R 12inch(500w rms, single voice coil) for 50 used so would that be good to use in the stealth enclosure and work ok with the amp I have?

Last edited by joe77; 03-22-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Launching!

hey just a bump, was looking at some cheap subs, ive found this one used for 50 with a box i think i could drop in the back for now. would it be ok to pair with my 5 channel amp? (non-sponsor link removed)

heres technical article http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...re%20Sheet.pdf
any input would be appreciated as i still dont understand these specs all that well

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Building system and need advice