Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Advice

I've got a t-top 2002 Camaro.

Pretty much, I want to make the stereo in my car sound good, not loud.

The way it is now, a front speaker blew a while back before I had the car and were replaced with probably some Walmart speaker. The sail subwoofer on the driver's side has blown, and doesn't put out any sound.

I've read around on here, and it seems that if I stay with the standard system, the kit from Kee Audio would be my best bet. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by HarrisonH; 04-14-2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: herp derp kee not lee
Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html

Look at his premium package for $350. Mine are coming to me now. I spent a lot of time researching my options.

I reseached the CDT units that come in this package, and all the reviews great.

I trust the LS1tech community, and they swear by this vendor. I've been in steady contact with him for a few weeks now, and he's helping me design my system including the parts he doesn't sell. One part he does sell, but I could get it cheaper from somebody else, and he suggested I do!

Good luck with your setup, and welcome to LS1tech.com.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you're planning to keep the Monsoon amp, there is probably no better setup than one of the Kee Audio packages.

On the other hand, if you're thinking of installing a setup with your own amp then there is no limit other than time and money.

Notice that I centered my comments around whether you keep the Monsoon amp or not. You can replace all of the other parts of the sound system (head unit and various speakers) but the amp will determine types and locations of speakers as well as wiring, crossovers, and other components of the system.

I highly recommend replacing the factory head unit with your favorite aftermarket model. There is no single thing you can do that will improve the sound more than replacing the head unit.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Eh, I'm not really up for going through replacing the amp that's there, so I'll probably end up going with one of those from Kee Audio.

After that, what's a good head unit? I really don't know anything about aftermarket ones, other than I'd want one with at least a line in, and maybe the ability to play mp3 CDs.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have always had the best luck with Pioneer head units. Seemed to do what i wanted and they never gave me any problems. Im not saying they are the best out there. But i would suggest them as most arent too terribly priced. Another I have liked are Clarions. I have had terrible issues with Dual and sonys. dont know why but everytime i know someone with one they crapped out in a year...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

kenwood excelon x592 for me. 4 volt preouts and three sets of them