Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

6x9s in the sail, and 6.5s in the rears

Old 04-18-2010, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6x9s in the sail, and 6.5s in the rears

I want pics of anything crazy you guys have done with sail speakers and rear speakers.

I wanted to put 6x9s in the rears, but there just isnt enough room on the drivers side for the 6x9s I have.

Would 6x9s in the sails work? I pulled the panel and realized, yes, I have to cut some sheet metal out. This car is mine until I die, so I can live with it.

The rear seems to have enough space for my shallow 6.5 mid-bass Kickers, should I try and mount them in there? I would obviously need to make some kind of adapter to fit it, and angle it properly as the stock plastic panels would only be used as a cover.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, BUT, I didn't ask how much better a round speaker is compared to an oval speaker, or which brand is better. I have the speakers and want to discuss INSTALLING them, not where I can spend EVEN MORE MONEY on crap I don't need. I've had the 6x9s in my 3000GT and I don't drive that car. Let me know!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I think I may still have an 8-track player around that would go nicely with those 6x9 speakers... you know, similar level of technology.

Why don't you put the Kickers in the sail panels? They'll fit and they are mid-bass rather than full range. You don't (or shouldn't) want all that sound coming from behind you.

OTOH, you don't seem to care about comments regarding what would sound good. You have these speakers and you want to install them come hell or high water (or lousy sound) so go ahead and get your jigsaw and start cutting.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Whitebird. Don't use the 6x9s. Put a good component in the front doors, a mid-bass in the sail panels, and nothing in the hatch. It sounds the best. You don't want all the highs coming from behind or the soundstage will be completely whacked. Not to mention, a full range won't work to well if at all with the Monsoon setup. It'll probably snap, crackle, and pop when you turn it up since the sails only get mid-bass sounds from the amp.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention that I'm also doing a Kenwood H/U, and 3 amps, (2) 1000 watts 2-ch and (1) 240 watt 4-ch...

I guess I can compare my experiences to the 3000GT. When I had amps running the 4 speakers I had, it was amazing. The 6x9s had enough bass that I didnt care for subs, or mid-bass drivers. The 6.5s components in the door were really nice, and the soundstage was all upfront. I swear to god I was at a Metallica concert everytime I drove.

But all that being said, if I opt out of the 6x9s, should anything go in the rears? I have 5 1/4" speakers that would fit no problem, and I could run them off the small 4-ch amp I have.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
But all that being said, if I opt out of the 6x9s, should anything go in the rears? I have 5 1/4" speakers that would fit no problem, and I could run them off the small 4-ch amp I have.
That depends... Bear in mind that you really want the sound coming from behind to be rear fill or else low frequencies (sub). The idea is that you don't want to be able to distinguish the direction of the sound as being from behind you. Some people will tell you that there should be nothing but bass in the back and that everything else should be in front ("concert" sound stage). I don't agree because I really like the feeling of "surround sound". I like to have sound like I'm wearing a good set of headphones. That still requires the rear speakers to fill in the sound rather than being dominant.

So, if you're putting mid-bass or subs in the sail panels then full range speakers in the back can work. But if you're putting full range in the sail panels then almost any speaker in the hatch area will be overkill. That's what prompted the 8-track comment - back in those days the standard was to put a pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf. All the sound was coming from behind but we didn't know any better (and we didn't have many options).

Search this Thread