Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub woofer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Sub woofer question

So my question for all you out there...
1 sub @ 1ohm for 600 watts?
or..
2 subs @ 2ohm for 400 watts?

Assumptions for the question, yes the amp can handle a 1 ohm load, yes the sub can handle 600 watts, finally all wattages are in RMS. Going for quality here, not Overwhelm rest of my system kinda bass.

Idea 1 steal box, or 2? - Is it worth the effort to add a 2nd one, or would the benefit significant enough?

Also, somewhat a side question, is there a way to wire 2 DVC subs -where each coil is 2ohm- to get a 1 ohm load for 600 watts on that channel?

If I left anything out let me know...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumpity
Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have the room for two subs,then I would do it.Depends on how much bass you want.I personally went with one 10" RE Se-10 in a stealth box being pushed by a Cadence ZRS 600rms amp.I will admit it is more than enough for me in the bass dept. It hits hard and loud. I had to adjust my settings because the bass did overpower the rest of the system,but it sounds great now.I wanted to keep my t-top storage,that's the reason I didn't go with a dual setup,eventhough there is box made by subthump that still allowed you to run a dual setup and still keep the t-top storage.It was called the "Millhouse",not sure if he still makes it or not. Not sure about getting two 2ohm dvc to a 1ohm load,you can get them to a .5 ohm and a 2ohm though.You can get two 4ohm dvc to a 1ohm load.Maybe this will help.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=22#results
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
If you have the room for two subs,then I would do it.Depends on how much bass you want.I personally went with one 10" RE Se-10 in a stealth box being pushed by a Cadence ZRS 600rms amp.I will admit it is more than enough for me in the bass dept. It hits hard and loud. I had to adjust my settings because the bass did overpower the rest of the system,but it sounds great now.I wanted to keep my t-top storage,that's the reason I didn't go with a dual setup,eventhough there is box made by subthump that still allowed you to run a dual setup and still keep the t-top storage.It was called the "Millhouse",not sure if he still makes it or not. Not sure about getting two 2ohm dvc to a 1ohm load,you can get them to a .5 ohm and a 2ohm though.You can get two 4ohm dvc to a 1ohm load.Maybe this will help.
Ahhh, ok then revise what I said to 2 4ohm dvc at 1 ohm for 300 rms on each sub vs 1 2ohm dvc @ 600 watts
I don't usually listen to music that needs the insane rape-your-body-with-vibes type of music, but if 2 would be better than maybe...
and just a point of clarification, 2 stealth boxes vs 1 w/ same amp and power? Going for sound quality here
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumpity
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Teching In

IMO if you don't want overpowering bass go with one. Me personally I would go with the 2 stealth boxes to "even" the sound out, and just tune it low. Can always turn it up after you get bored with it
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

One sub will most likely be loud enough for you if you want balance. I would consider 2 if you listen to rap music where some notes are below ~40Hz and 2 subs would play the lows better. If you wanted to you could only hook up one VC on each sub for an overall of 1 ohm if you chose to get 2 subs.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trx250r
One sub will most likely be loud enough for you if you want balance. I would consider 2 if you listen to rap music where some notes are below ~40Hz and 2 subs would play the lows better. If you wanted to you could only hook up one VC on each sub for an overall of 1 ohm if you chose to get 2 subs.
The only thing I would see being an advantage to buying dual stealth boxes, is that I can turn the Sub-out way down on the HU, or up if I ever wanted, I just want to know for most listening -metal usually- if it'd sound better for 2, or if it was even worth the cost?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Why not install the one stealth box and see if you like it? Then if you want more bass you can add the second sub later. Our cars tend to have better bass response than many others because of the hatch design so bass that is insufficient in other cars is often plenty in f-bodies. Besides, the left stealth box can be installed without modification to the trim panels but the right side is more involved. You could do all the work to install both sides and then find that it's too much but be stuck with it. But if you install only one then find it isn't enough you haven't lost anything except time.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Two would have more impactful(I don't know if that's a word) punch on the bass drum beats for metal. However I would get one good clean playing sub over two of lower quality. Something cheaper like kicker CVRs have a hard time keeping up and staying clean on real fast bass lines(Avenged Sevenfold comes to mind). There is another thread in this section about someone who just get a couple IDMAXs, I would ask him how they play, I have good things about them.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trx250r
Two would have more impactful(I don't know if that's a word) punch on the bass drum beats for metal. However I would get one good clean playing sub over two of lower quality. Something cheaper like kicker CVRs have a hard time keeping up and staying clean on real fast bass lines(Avenged Sevenfold comes to mind). There is another thread in this section about someone who just get a couple IDMAXs, I would ask him how they play, I have good things about them.
Well the way I'm saving, quality is definitely not an issue here, lol..
Btw, what to people think is the best sub on the market, excluding the insanely expensive ones. Mid Range Alpine X-types being a ceiling on cost. 10 inch also.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

You'll get the same loudness with 2 subs @ 300rms, as 1 sub @ 600rms. The only difference is you'll move more air with the 2 subs and spend twice as much.
IMO, for your wants get 1 nice sub.
Fi-Q10d2, ID-IDQ10v3d2, Alpine-SWX1043d(4 ohm dvc only), SSA ICON 10D2.

Quick Reply: Sub woofer question