Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

head unit install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default head unit install.

Hey guys,

I wanna try and do this myself, I did search which I figured out i need the following:

metra Metra 99-3009 flush kit
Metra 70-1858 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 88-05 Harness
Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter

And an adapter if I wanna keep the steering controls which im not worried about really.

I've never done car audio or a head unit install before, I'm hoping it's not too difficult.

Should I try and do this myself or have bestbuy or some place install it? tip's and how to's are welcomed, i figure with gm radio harness i should just be able to match up colors.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

really not that bad to do an install, basically match wires on harness

depends on what brand radio for what model adapter to keep steering wheel controls
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy install.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Having done plenty of HU installs, I can say the 4th gen 'bird is prolly the easiest i've done. Plenty of room for the aftermarket harnesses and stuff, unlike many cars. The only issue you might run into (depending on the size of your HU) is the plastic tab at the back of the mounting sleeve. The mounting screw on the back of the stock unit slid into this tab, but it tends to be a bit short for many aftermarket units, and needs to be "taken care of"
Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mischief
Hey guys,

I wanna try and do this myself, I did search which I figured out i need the following:

And an adapter if I wanna keep the steering controls which im not worried about really.

I've never done car audio or a head unit install before, I'm hoping it's not too difficult.

Should I try and do this myself or have bestbuy or some place install it? tip's and how to's are welcomed, i figure with gm radio harness i should just be able to match up colors.
I highly recommend this dash kit over the one you listed, adds a little pocket under the radio instead of just a flat panel. Looks much cleaner & more professional IMO:

Metra 99-4000
Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

I know just how you feel !! I just installed a new HU and speakers in my TA and had no flippin clue on how. With alot of help from "98camero28" it went really smooth. After your done, you will be glad you did it and saved the $$. I had plenty of room inside to hookup my stuff. I put a USB and an MP3 adapter inside HU opening with out any problems. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take pics and post your progress!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NBM.Z28™
I highly recommend this dash kit over the one you listed, adds a little pocket under the radio instead of just a flat panel. Looks much cleaner & more professional IMO:

Metra 99-4000
Do you have any pics of that kit installed?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Launching!

It's in...however my power antenna isnt working?

it says it's the blue wire which is hooked up correctly, i bought the harness so it made it easy.

Any ideas? also, theres a secondary harness that connected to the stock radio...is that for a cd-changer or what?

That's my only issue, all speakers work great!

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

I just have a blue with white.. power amp on or something...a mute wire, and 2 orange wires that arent needed.

Do i need to connect that blue/white? I figured that was just for an aftermarket amp..perhaps the stereo is a dud?

This is pretty annoying lol

Edit: fixed, just swapped from the blue to the blue/white power amp wire, and it works, guess the other one is a dud.

Last edited by mischief; 05-21-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Came out pretty good all for $127 shipped via amazon.

The sound goes to 35.. but 30 is max.. or it starts to distort...so if i want it super loud.. i'll need new speakers I suppose.

Last edited by mischief; 05-21-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Default Re: head unit install.

Originally Posted by mischief
Hey guys,

I think you should do it yourself. That is quite easy. But some of the products are difficult to install. You should look for the other products that it is hard to install.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tiresmokindad89
I think you should do it yourself. That is quite easy. But some of the products are difficult to install. You should look for the other products that it is hard to install.
I think you didnt check the recent posts i installed it today, it was extremely easy, took me an hour tops with a few breaks ( first time ).

It came out pretty good, honestly it's only a bit better quality wise, but I bought it for the built in USB and AUX ports mostly.

It distorts when the volume goes past 30, max 35, but i think that's normal, I also used crimp caps, which is better then twisting and using electrical tape.

Do you think it will make that much of a difference if i go back and solder it some day? I doubt that much.

And thanks to brutalis for telling me about the tab in the way, I just broke it off, and bent the metal piece back more, saved me $70 doing it myself.

Quick Reply: head unit install.