Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

best alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default best alternator upgrade

ok so the car is running lowwwww at idle and actually stalled out on me sitting at a stoplight with nothing else running. I have an asp underdrive pulley, an optima red top, and nothing else that should draw power (stock monsoon stereo setup). So i was thinking of upgrading the alternator, i see there a couple out there and i am looking for some recomendations for more performance. Thanks in advance...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that would be the alternator thats the problem...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

im pretty sure it is bc the electric drops so far, no codes, no issues on the throttle no issues 90% of the time at idle either in drive or park......alternator is ten years old (oe equipment still, lol) so regardless the alternator will be a good upgrade one or the other
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are numerous threads about high output alternators. Alterstart seems to be a popular brand but there are others that are equally capable performers. A search for "alternator" will find hundreds of threads. Here's one to get you started: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lternator.html
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Getting rid of the UD pulley will help fix it.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get rid of it.

Just get a ASP overdrive alternator pulley, you'll need to change belts tho.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are numerous threads about high output alternators. Alterstart seems to be a popular brand but there are others that are equally capable performers. A search for "alternator" will find hundreds of threads. Here's one to get you started: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lternator.html
cannot say that i recommend alterstart. i live in dallas so i picked mine up. i should have purchased from ebay first and i am kicking myself for it. i spent 2 hours installing the "200a" alternator only to find i idle with a 1,500 watt system in the 8-9 volts. i called alterstart and they told me that was normal. i wasn't convinced, so i told them i wanted a replacement. i went back in and they told me they gave me the wrong alternator. i changed it again, this time the alternator was better, although i can tell you the low bass notes caused my lights to flicker still. a 200a alternator shouldn't have a problem with 1,500 watts.

when i went and returned the first one, i politely asked for a partial credit of $65 since they doubled the work of install/reinstall. not only did they not give it, but told me they don't do that and that they wouldn't do that, and that they couldn't do that. when i asked to talk to a manager, they told me the manager is out of town indefinitely, and wouldn't offer me any phone numbers or contact information or even his name. couldn't do anything at this point...i guess i could have left with the first alternator they gave me, but it would have been like me running out the door and them chasing me.

i realize they don't have to give me a credit for the alternator ****-up, but as a business, to satisfy the customer, they should have offered some sort of credit. not only did they not, they didn't even give me a spec sheet on the 200a alternator they gave me. in fact my receipt has an entirely different part # than the 2nd alternator they gave me, so i'm not even sure if it fails during their 2 year warranty that they would have to honor it. but i don't know what to do now.

also, i told them i was reporting them to the BBB if their "boss" didn't call me. they said, no kidding, "okay, he won't call you." i'm not kidding, this was one of the worst businesses i've ever dealt with. i am astounded by their ebay reputation. i wouldn't be surprised if their spec sheets are BS. a 200a alternator should handle 1,500 watts without hiccups, and mine was no different than stock, only slightly larger in size.

big F for alterstart, 4alterstart, 4alterstart.biz or whatever the hell you want to call them. they aren't sponsors here and for good reason. some mod needs to jump in here and ban their name from ever being used on this forum until someone makes a better verification of their products (and customer service). i am probably the only person to deal with them in person as of yet, and i can tell you hands down they don't need to be recommended to anyone. so if you buy one from them, i don't give a damn what anyone on ls1tech says or what ebay says, they are VERY sketchy. i'm not convinced their product is what it says it is and i'm not convinced they give a damn or like anyone poking into the matter either.

by them handling this stuff online and almost anonymously, i think it's easy for them to get away with caring. in person, wow, what a disrespectful business. i am almost wanting to take off the alternator, send it back and get a refund, and buy another from autozone. the only thing holding me back is 1. it's more work a third time, and 2. i have read their alternators last a while. that doesn't mean it's rated as what it SAYS it is, that just says they may build alternators that last, regardless of what the true amperage is. so, if it's the same as stock and lasts as long, may as well leave it alone at this point.

just my .02.

Last edited by tuffluck; 04-27-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most HO alternators dont make much at idle.

Personally an OEM alternator should be fine for your needs. Pull alternator and have it tested, do big3, and then if need be overdrive pulley for alternator

Quick Reply: best alternator upgrade