Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with stock monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with stock monsoon system

I recently purchased an 01 z28 obviously equipped with the monsoon HU and amp. The front speakers were blown so i replaced them with some kenwoods. I ended up just capping off the tweeter wires. The system sounded better but still has very bad distortion with bass. I also upgraded the sail panel speakers with alpine type s 6 1/2's. Still the subs barely get any power and all the speakers distort easily. From what i am reading through others problems on here i think i have an issue with my amp. I was hoping someone could help out a little bit and also if you think it is my amp what can i upgrade to that i can purchase locally to run my setup. Thanks in advance.

My setup:
kenwood 2-ways in the doors
alpine 6 1/2 sails
stock hatch speakers for now
Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I've read that the crappy head unit is the main cause of distortion. Try replacing that imo.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, let's see... You replace (upgrade?) the components in the doors with coaxials and leave an amplified channel unused. Then you replace 6.5" 2-ohm subs with 6.5" 4-ohm coaxials (full-range) in the sail panels. Yet you don't see how these mismatched speakers might affect sound quality?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Teching In

it was doing this before hand. Even worse actually. The people at best buy weren't much help. i may just get rid of the stock hu and amp. this thing is really startin to annoy me. The only problem is i would rather have the stock look
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Teching In

the sails are two ways but with separate tweeters and wires im not using