Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can I run aftermarket electronic gauges off the PCM.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I run aftermarket electronic gauges off the PCM.

I'm swapping in a LT1 for my 65 buick and am wondering if I can buy an electronic gauge setup and just connect all the signal wires to the pcm and have the gauges functions right. The gauges I will be needing will be the Tach, speedo, voltometer, oil pressure, coolant temp, fuel level.

Also, I don't understand how I go about picking a fuel gauge as there are different Ohms ratings. I don't know what that means. Thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know someone has an answer. TTT
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Come one custom guys. I've seen after market gauges in everyones cars, how is it done?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I'm swapping in a LT1 for my 65 buick and am wondering if I can buy an electronic gauge setup and just connect all the signal wires to the pcm and have the gauges functions right. The gauges I will be needing will be the Tach, speedo, voltometer, oil pressure, coolant temp, fuel level.

Also, I don't understand how I go about picking a fuel gauge as there are different Ohms ratings. I don't know what that means. Thanks
Honestly man, I don't know for most of them, but the volt meter is a simple one, obviously. The tach is a simple one as well. You can just hook it up to the blue tach wire (I think its blue). As for the speedo, I'm not sure. You might need a conversion box, but I'm not 100%. Fuel level would depend on the car are how you did the tank setup.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squee
Honestly man, I don't know for most of them, but the volt meter is a simple one, obviously. The tach is a simple one as well. You can just hook it up to the blue tach wire (I think its blue). As for the speedo, I'm not sure. You might need a conversion box, but I'm not 100%. Fuel level would depend on the car are how you did the tank setup.
I did some more research and I think i got those two you told me and the speedo figured out. Still wondering about the other stuff. Most people were saying that I just buy gauges and hook them up, if they don't work then use the supplied sending unit instead of the factory one.
BTW I'm still using a LT1 fuel tank, just out of an Impala. Thanks for your help buddy.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else have some more insight?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Speedo comes right off the VSS. Assuming you are using a modern trans behind the LT1. If not, you'll need a conversion box, or a mechanical speedo.

Tach comes from the PCM.

Volts off of switched 12v.

Oil comes with its own sender...so just replace the stocker.

Water temp comes with its own sender, so you need to find a place to put it...while leaving the stock CTS alone.

Fuel...you need to find out what your tanks sender rating is. An older GM might be 0-90...not sure if they used that back in the 60's or not. Just match the gauge to your sender's range.

Most of this info will be in the gauge's instructions.

Heck...depending on what gauges you want, you can wait a bit and get the GPS enabled Speedo and not even have to worry about hooking it up or calibrating it.

J.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Speedo comes right off the VSS. Assuming you are using a modern trans behind the LT1. If not, you'll need a conversion box, or a mechanical speedo.

Tach comes from the PCM.

Volts off of switched 12v.

Oil comes with its own sender...so just replace the stocker.

Water temp comes with its own sender, so you need to find a place to put it...while leaving the stock CTS alone.

Fuel...you need to find out what your tanks sender rating is. An older GM might be 0-90...not sure if they used that back in the 60's or not. Just match the gauge to your sender's range.

Most of this info will be in the gauge's instructions.

Heck...depending on what gauges you want, you can wait a bit and get the GPS enabled Speedo and not even have to worry about hooking it up or calibrating it.

J.
Perfect man, thanks a lot. I'm using the 4l60e so I should beable to tap into that.
So if I understand correctly I can put the new CTS inline with a hose off the radiator correct?
As for fuel, I'm using a tank from a 95 impala ss. It has a wahlbro 255 pump in it.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Left and right cylinder heads are the same. Leave the existing CTS where it is, and use the hole in the other head for the gauge sender.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Left and right cylinder heads are the same. Leave the existing CTS where it is, and use the hole in the other head for the gauge sender.
Ok, cool. I did not know that. This just get easier and easier. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

if youre in the market for gauges ive got a complete Autometer electric Cobalt series set up to make your own cluster with theyre all brand new still in the boxes valued over $740id let go for $540 shipped. pm me if interested. 3 3/8" speedo and tach the rest are 2 1/16