Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Help

I need some help I put a JVC head unit in my car. I put a 10 inch sub with a 500 watt Memphis amp. I replaced the sail panel speakers but the just put out bass how do i change that. The door speakers are aggravating cause they are blown. But i went to put the new ones in the doors the plugs wont fit what do I do now?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The first thing to do is read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum. It will answer questions such as why there is only bass coming from the sail panels and why you shouldn't have put full-range speakers there.

As far as the plugs go, it's best to cut the factory plugs off of the original speakers and wire them to your new speakers so that you can just plug them into the original harness. You did notice that the door speakers are components and have separate wiring for mids and tweeters?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Yes but I got a set of rockfords for the doors.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

So for the doors I take the old speaker case and cut the wires out of it then wire them to the new speakers right?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
As far as the plugs go, it's best to cut the factory plugs off of the original speakers and wire them to your new speakers so that you can just plug them into the original harness.
I am trying to do this for a set of replacement speakers in the sail panels (I blew the stock ones). My question is, the stock speakers have four wires coming from the speaker into the wiring harness. The new speakers only have two wires. What is the best approach for this?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris Ware
I am trying to do this for a set of replacement speakers in the sail panels (I blew the stock ones). My question is, the stock speakers have four wires coming from the speaker into the wiring harness. The new speakers only have two wires. What is the best approach for this?
The best approach is to read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum so that you understand why the sail panels have two pairs of wires (dual voice coil) and why your selection of replacement speakers may not be correct (low-pass filtered signal).
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

The best approach is to read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum so that you understand why the sail panels have two pairs of wires (dual voice coil) and why your selection of replacement speakers may not be correct (low-pass filtered signal).
I did actually read the FAQ, but I guess "dual voice coil" just didn't mean anything to me. How can I find a set of speakers that supports this?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Speakers have wire windings in them that act as an electromagnet to move the cone in and out creating the air movement that we hear as sound waves. Most speakers have only one such wire winding (single voice coil) so there is only one positive and one negative wire. Some speakers have two windings (dual voice coils) that permit more power and wiring flexibility and have two of each positive and negative wires.

If you have a Monsoon system and are just replacing speakers (keeping the factory amp) then a good place to start is to contact our sponsor Kee Audio. He has replacement subs for the sail panels that are dual voice coil to match the factory wiring and are reasonably priced.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Teching In

If you have a Monsoon system and are just replacing speakers (keeping the factory amp) then a good place to start is to contact our sponsor Kee Audio. He has replacement subs for the sail panels that are dual voice coil to match the factory wiring and are reasonably priced.
Thanks for the suggestion! Had to send them an e-mail, though, as the replacement kit they are selling states "Note: Can be used in Firebird but will only use 1 pair of the 2 pairs of wires in the sail panel area as the midbass in this package are SVC".

If anybody could recommend a good set of replacement speakers for these, I'd appreciate it. Looking to spend less than $100 (hopefully).
Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris Ware
Thanks for the suggestion! Had to send them an e-mail, though, as the replacement kit they are selling states "Note: Can be used in Firebird but will only use 1 pair of the 2 pairs of wires in the sail panel area as the midbass in this package are SVC".

If anybody could recommend a good set of replacement speakers for these, I'd appreciate it. Looking to spend less than $100 (hopefully).
Ask Ian (Kee Audio) about the Bazooka or Audiopipe dual voice coil subs he sells. They fit well and wire up just like stock not to mention that they sound much better and last longer than stock. The Audiopipes are under $100 and the Bazookas are just over that price.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got another 50 pairs of Bazookas in stock and have changed the replacment packages to reflect this. I have you covered! I have 2 other replacements as well that are DVC under $100.00. The Bazookas have been very good though and are only $15.00 more. Prices include shipping to the lower 48 states.