Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amplifier interfearing with horn/fog relays?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier interfearing with horn/fog relays?

98 Camaro SS. I have the power cable for my JBL amp hooked into the power source on the relay/fuse box under the hood, that contains the horn and fog light relays. If I dont run the vehicle for a day or more, the fog lamps and horn wont work, until I run the vehicle for at least a half hour/20+ miles. I have replaced the relays before, and solved the problem for a while. Could have my amp power wire hooked up there be causing this? Or should I get a new relay box? Anything else to check?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is the amp? are you talking about the actual power cable that goes to the amp hooked up to the relay box? I don't think Ive ever seen a setup where it isnt hooked right to the battery.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
How big is the amp? are you talking about the actual power cable that goes to the amp hooked up to the relay box? I don't think Ive ever seen a setup where it isnt hooked right to the battery.
ive actually has a set up straight from the battery i tend to have less problems with alternator whine this way
but ive also ran the wires from the driver side from where the fuse box gets power
and i have 2 amps.. (500w and a 700w)
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Teching In

It's just a 760 watt JBL amp. I didn't hook it up there, a professional installer did. I guess that it sounds like the best course of action is too hook it to the battery, and see what that does.