Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

tried to bypass window switch, messed up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tried to bypass window switch, messed up.

**PROBLEM FIXED***

1994 camaro z28 convertible.
I had a window stuck down right before a massive storm, went to all the parts stores looking for a replacement switch but couldn't find one. Parts guy told me bypass the switch by pulling it off and jumpering drk blue and brown, it was dark and I accidentally jumpered black and brown I think.

Anyways, I popped something in the wiring and feel like an idot...now I do not have power to either door window, the radio, or the convertible top. Everything else works including the cigarette lighter.

The motor is still good, it spins if you direct wire into battery. Fuses in fuse block have been changed and are good. but I'm not getting any voltage to the "radio" or "window" fuse slot on the fuse block. Also, all of the fuseable links in the engine bay that connect the battery to the accessory wiring running into the car are good.

Only two things I see in the system besides what I have checked is a junction block "terminal block" looking thing that connects all the interior wires right before running into the fuse block. But don't know how to check these.

Any ideas would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I have no AC and am propping up the window with a screwdriver when parked since I had to pull the motor to drop/raise the window.

Kyle

Last edited by skippytheloon; 05-23-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, nevermind. After tracing wires all weekend I found the problem to be inside one of the black boxes located on the front firewall. The one on the right hand side accessed under the driver side dash, but located between the driver and passenger (in front of the center console). When the wires are disconnected and the circuit board is pulled out of the black box, you can see a hairline fracture on the back side circuit board...tada.

I'll leave this post up in case someone else accidentaly burns this part up trying to bypass thier window switch in a brewing thunderstorm in the dark.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NICE! That had to be one hell of a power spike to break the PCB. 120V bypass?

Honestly, it was probably its time to go and the cross circuit just nudged it a little further.

Quick Reply: tried to bypass window switch, messed up.