Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blowing drivers turn signal and lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing drivers turn signal and lights stay on

hey guys just recently picked up my 2000 camaro ss and the front drivers turn signal was blown, i replaced it and not even 20 min of driving its blown again. I also notice that the headlights on the car stay on whenever the car is on, regardless of what position the switch is on. so my question, what can i do to fix this, im guessing its the light switch itself?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

bump, anyone help?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your current lens is probably cracked and letting in water. If so, you'll need a new lens/housing.

As a temporary fix, you can put lens tape over the crack or drill a weep hole at the bottom.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

+1^ for the turn signal...i had the same problem with one of my taillights and drilled some drain holes...but after i did that i found the crack on the lens and sealed it up with some clear silicone..all good now...as for the headlights...these cars have an automatic headlight feature when it detects the right amount of darkness it turns them on...trust me..when i first bought my 01 SS..i thought there was something wrong too..my switch would be off but my headlights on..im actually trying to find a way to do some type of bypass feature with a switch for that...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1
+1^ for the turn signal...i had the same problem with one of my taillights and drilled some drain holes...but after i did that i found the crack on the lens and sealed it up with some clear silicone..all good now...as for the headlights...these cars have an automatic headlight feature when it detects the right amount of darkness it turns them on...trust me..when i first bought my 01 SS..i thought there was something wrong too..my switch would be off but my headlights on..im actually trying to find a way to do some type of bypass feature with a switch for that...
well the lights are on all the time no matter what. As soon as i turn on the car and put the e-brake down the headlights turn on, when its on the switch will work, but if i turn them on they wont go off even if the switch goes into the off position. I also bought a new light switch today and it did nothing.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If the dash light sensor is unplugged (or the wires are damaged) the system will think it is dark all the time and turn on the headlights. It is also possible the sensor itself is bad. If you don't feel like tracking down the problem, you can return the headlights to manual operation only by shorting the two sensor wires together using a Scotchlock connector. The system will then think it is bright daylight all the time and never turn on the headlights automatically (the headlight switch will still work for manual operation).

Auto Headlight Defeat