Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car won't program new key fobs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't program new key fobs?

I've read the frquently asked questions and the instructions are exactly the same as 3 other instructions I've read.

I turn the key on to off. Pull the radio fuse. Cycle the ignition 3 times. The doors lock/unlock and the hatch opens. I hold lock and unlock all the way for 30sec even and nothing happens.

I tried to replace the batteries and still nothing. I can't even get my old key fob to work on the car now let alone the new ones. Anyone have a clue what's wrong with my POS car? Or am I doing something wrong in my steps?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

’01-’02 Programming

REMOTE TRANSMITTER

CAUTION: If vehicle is equipped with radio anti-theft feature (THEFTLOCK(R)), obtain secret code from customer. Disable THEFTLOCK(R) prior to disconnecting power to vehicle or removing RADIO fuse. See RADIO ANTI-THEFT FEATURE (THEFTLOCK(R)) DISABLING.

NOTE: Programming of remote transmitters cannot be done simultaneously. First remote transmitter must be programmed completely before programming next remote transmitter(s). A maximum of 4 remote transmitters may be programmed into Body Control Module (BCM) memory.

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN position to deactivate Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) alarm system (if equipped). Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove RADIO fuse No. 17 (15-amp) from instrument panel fuse block. RADIO fuse is located in lower right-hand corner of fuse block.

NOTE: While programming remote transmitters, wait for doors to unlock. Failure to do this, will cancel programming.

2. Cycle ignition switch from OFF to RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds, leaving ignition switch in RUN position. BCM will indicate programming sequence is active by activating hatch release, locking doors, then unlocking doors.
3. Press and hold both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on remote transmitter to be programmed for 15 seconds. Doors will lock and unlock, and hatch release will activate to verify remote transmitter has been recognized by BCM.
4. Repeat step 3 for remaining remote transmitters. After programming remote transmitter(s), reinstall RADIO fuse. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Enable THEFTLOCK(R) (if equipped). See RADIO ANTI-THEFT FEATURE (THEFTLOCK(R) UNLOCKING.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you for the SAME EXACTinstructions I've read countless times and in my original post I said I've done multiple times. But like I said when I hold lock/unlock to program the transmitter nothing happens.

Does anyone know something else that might be wrong or causing the car to not pick up he key fobs?

BTW
Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Have you tried reprogramming your original key fob using those instructions? Once you try programming the new ones without doing the original, the original won't be matched anymore so it won't work.

Is it possible that the new fobs aren't the right ones? I've seen this happen a number of times with eBay purchases.

If the original fob can be programmed again but the new ones can't, I would guess that the new ones are either the wrong model or are defective.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible that you do not have the right coded key fob. I am not sure if the fobs can be programmed with a tech 2, but thats how I had to have my fob for my caddy programmed.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure if they are the wrong key fobs, exact same buttons, but the battery location is different inside the fob. I got these new ones from a friend and if I'm not mistaken he used ones just like them on his T/A.

And I've tried to get the original fob reprogrammed to my car with no luck. I did those instructions to the same result-when I hold the lock/unlock buttons for 16+ sec nothing happens. I'm going to do a hard reset on the car when I get a day off work to deal with this again and see if that doesn't have an effect. I've tried to do this so mch the BCM might need to be refreshed.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Back from the Dead...In order to not start a new thread I'd like to see if I can get some answers to my problem. I lost my original keys and fob. The replacement door key does not work so I cannot even lock my car right now.

I've followed the instructions and the car goes into reprogramming mode but when I hold the lock and unlock buttons after about three seconds the locks cycle. It does nothing after 15 seconds and the car is still not accepting the key fob. How can I confirm what key fob part # my car originally came with? The number on the new one is 16245100-29
Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Any help fellas?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Launching!

bumpp
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a couple that looked the same but wouldn't program either. The part number for the FOB from GM still shows as a good number (16245100). Not sure where the -29 came from. Did you try a dealer?

-Geoff
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

The dealer wants $80 for a new key fob which absolutely blows my mind. I'd really like to get this thing done on my own
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rggbly
The dealer wants $80 for a new key fob which absolutely blows my mind. I'd really like to get this thing done on my own
I talked to a service engineer at GM and he told me that 16245100 was the correct part number as long as you have the F67 and F87 option code. He didn't know what the -29 meant either.

-Geoff
Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Those codes cover all Camaros and Firebirds...
F67 = F-body convertible
F87 = F-body coupe
Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Those codes cover all Camaros and Firebirds...
F67 = F-body convertible
F87 = F-body coupe
He must have met "or", not "and". Either way, I am going to get a new one and try it. I feel like a caveman having to open my door with the key everyday.

-Geoff
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my new one and it works like a charm. It ended up being $60 or so with shipping but it was new from GM. You never know what you get on ebay, since they could swap out electronics or send you a fried one and you would never know.

-Geoff
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Launching!

I've been using my key to unlock the car for the past year. gets annoying because i'll have to get in my car in a hurry and put the key in the ignition and turn the key, or else the alarm will go off.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

i lost one of my fobs and bought one off ebay with the correct transmitter ID and i can't get mine to program either.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
i lost one of my fobs and bought one off ebay with the correct transmitter ID and i can't get mine to program either.
Okay, please refer to post #2 and post #4... does your remaining original fob still program? If so, then the ebay fob is wrong or defective. If not, do you get the required response from the car (hatch releases and door locks cycle)? If not, you're either doing it wrong or your BCM is defective... from many years of experience I can be reasonably certain that it's not a bad BCM unless you are also experiencing other problems such as with the locks or the alarm.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally got it to program. Operator error on the sequence. Thanks WhiteBird00 for the quick response and knowledge.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Teching In

I can't get my fob to program. Original fob as far as I know. Car will go into program mode but fob won't connect. New battery and took it to a local parts store to make sure it was working.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Car won't program new key fobs?