Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Strange Volt Meter Problem....please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Volt Meter Problem....please help!!

I have a 95 Trans Am. Since I bought the car 4 years ago the volt meter has always been steady when I first start the car. Then once I am driving it for a little while and come to a stop or red light, the needle starts to "tick"

The gauge will stay steady around 14v or so until I stop then it will tick between 13 and 14 with just the radio on. If the air is on it will be around 13 and tick between 13.5-12.5ish. The longer I sit there at idle, the more it starts doing it until I step on the gas and start going, then it is back to a steady 14v. The headlights don't dim, and the car idles at around 550 which is normal, but every time it "ticks" I feel the whole car kind of like feel like its losing power and gets rough.

I have replaced the battery with a Optima Redtop, Iraggi 240Amp Alternator, New Plugs, New wires, BIG 3 upgrade, and just replaced my belt tensioner pulley and it is still doing the same thing. Also checked the battery and alt with a volt meter and the readings were dead on normal when the car is off and when the car is turned on. But I cant check it when I am driving it obviously. I am just stumped here. Does anyone have any ideas at all to what could be causing thing? It seems to me like once the motor heats up and the car is in gear and then comes to a stop just idling is when it happens all the time. But I seriously have replaced everything I could think of and it still happens. Please help me I can't take it anymore.... LOL