Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pop from Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pop from Speakers?

Guys,

I'm gonna throw this out there again as I'm not getting much response. I am getting a pop/tick from the speakers when the Brake Pedal is pressed (I assume when the brake lights come on). Here are some trouble shooting tips I have performed:

- All RCA's are away from power run on opposite side of car

- When one channel is unplugged from the 4ch amp then the popping goes away and is only present when both channels are plugged in - doesn't matter what channel (Front or Rear) is unplugged

- Ground cable is 4ga size and is grounded to rear seat belt bolt as the amp is mounted where spare tire used to be.

- Ground point was sanded down to remove paint under seatbelt harness and the ground cable is approx 2-2.5 ft long.

This sounds like a ground issue to me, but I'm not 100% sure and I can't seem to get this solved. Anyone have any ideas that can help and is there a better ground point back there I can use? Also, should I shorten the ground cable? Thanks for your input and any reccs are welcome.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well guys finally figured it out and got the pop eliminated. I ended up shortning the ground cable and running it to a better ground point on the body instead of the seatbelt bolt (found some articles online that were identical to my problem). That didn't help so I broke down and installed a ground loop isolator (filter) on the RCA cables for the front and installed it behind the HU. Lo and behold the pop is now gone and the sound is crystal clear. Guess sometimes you just have to install these filters and some cables may be more sensitive then others. Oh well, just glad it works and I love this HU - now I hope I can get my car inspected soon so I can drive her more -
Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running RCAs near power or signal wires will cause a distrubance in them. The ground is usually the reason, esp for an on/off pop
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ukg35
Running RCAs near power or signal wires will cause a distrubance in them. The ground is usually the reason, esp for an on/off pop
I know that is why all of the power was run on the opposite side of the car. Don't know why I couldn't get rid of the ground loop but the filter eliminated it so my problem is solved. Thanks for the input.