Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Want to replace all the lights in the gauge cluster with blue leds....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to replace all the lights in the gauge cluster with blue leds....

Is it even possible? If so can anyone tell me the numbers for all the bulbs?

The Sylvania site lists these:

PC74

Is that all I'll need? Also...the superbrightled website is a bit confusing as they say some of their bulbs replace multiple numbered bulbs...Like say if you were looking for a 161 they claim that the WLED series will replace that one and tons of others. That seems odd to me.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's not unusual for LED replacement bulbs to be listed as replacements for several different original bulbs. There are numerous bulbs that have the same physical shape and design but have different numbers because of internal differences. For example, the 161, 158, 194, 193, and 168 bulbs are all the same shape and size but they have different brightness (watts or candlepower) or service life ratings.

The thing to watch out for is situations where the car has different bulbs of the same type. In your cluster, the use of 161 (1 candlepower) and 194 (2 CP) in the cluster means that the locations of the bulbs require different brightness to provide even overall illumination. Replacing them all with the same LED bulb will cause some areas to be brighter than others. This may or may not be very noticeable but it's something to consider.

In the case of 37 and 73, the difference in brightness is minimal (0.5 CP vs. 0.3CP) but the 73 is rated for 15,000 hours lifetime and the 37 is rated for only 2,500 hours. The 74 is the same design but brighter (0.8 CP). The PC74 is a 74 bulb with a printed circuit board socket attached to it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If your stock overlay shows red at night, it wont do any good adding blue leds, their is a red film in the overlay.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Your best bet for blue, would be to swap the speedo, headlight switch, and Hvac panels with some from 6LE to get rid of the red film. Then you can add your LEDs.

Last edited by HAYSTACK; 06-18-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not going to be doing this then. I don't have the money for anything but bulbs right now. Does anyone know how to get to the bulbs behind the headlight controls? I tried last night....I took the plastic bezel off the front that has the AC vent attached to it. I couldn't figure out how to get behind the panel the switch is on.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default hmmm

hmmm is it possible to remove the red film off of my stock overlay in order for me to use blue leds?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not going to be doing this then. I don't have the money for anything but bulbs right now. Does anyone know how to get to the bulbs behind the headlight controls? I tried last night....I took the plastic bezel off the front that has the AC vent attached to it. I couldn't figure out how to get behind the panel the switch is on.
theres is like two or three "plugs" idk what you call it, feel around behind the headlight switch and you should see how its in there, no screws or anything. The LED's to do all the lights(minus steeringwheel and map lights) cost me around 70 bucks, but it was worth it in my opinion.

There are several write-ups in the appearance and detail section about all of this.

Last edited by Southernsnow; 08-16-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by turbotransam09
hmmm is it possible to remove the red film off of my stock overlay in order for me to use blue leds?
yes! it is possible, I used a dremel on mine and would have turned out perfect until when I went to clean the actual face of the gauges, the cleaner I used ate away the black color and basically looked like crap. so i went ahead and got a camaro gauge cluster. BUT it is a Pain in the ***. red dust was everywhere and you have to be careful not to sand/scrape/dig too deep into the gauge face. Again, there is a thread in Appearance and Detailing of a guy doing this, pretty recent if I remember. I'd say get camaro parts and swap out the odometer(and if you wanna change that to blue there is a couple really good write-ups as well, but again PITA) that way you dont have to deal with resetting the needles, my fuel gauge didnt work after i put the needle back on, another reason for getting the camaro cluster, it came with everything. hope this helped man, pm if you have anymore questions and i'll try to help
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Southernsnow
yes! it is possible, I used a dremel on mine and would have turned out perfect until when I went to clean the actual face of the gauges, the cleaner I used ate away the black color and basically looked like crap. so i went ahead and got a camaro gauge cluster. BUT it is a Pain in the ***. red dust was everywhere and you have to be careful not to sand/scrape/dig too deep into the gauge face. Again, there is a thread in Appearance and Detailing of a guy doing this, pretty recent if I remember. I'd say get camaro parts and swap out the odometer(and if you wanna change that to blue there is a couple really good write-ups as well, but again PITA) that way you dont have to deal with resetting the needles, my fuel gauge didnt work after i put the needle back on, another reason for getting the camaro cluster, it came with everything. hope this helped man, pm if you have anymore questions and i'll try to help
THANKS MAN!!! i had the same idea, me and my lil bro completely disassembled my TA cluster and his Z28 cluster and they plug in identically so i went and bought a cluster at junkyard for $10. now just gotta get the right bulbs to use.