Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light problem

I'm not sure if this is the right place but anyway...I'm having an issue with the left tail light on my '96 firebird.

Both the left and right tail lights come on when I turn the headlights on and both turn signals work...however the brake light does not light up on the left side. I have swapped the bulbs from either side and same problem (with the left side lights in the right side sockets they worked fine).

I have also tried another wiring harness and had the same problem.

Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

im having the same exactly problem on my 99, leme know if you fix it
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same issue but intermittently. Always the left side. Let's get to the bottom of this. I also have a 99.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Teching In

i having the same prob on my 96, firebird, 4sure hit me up when u got it fixed.ill keep u updated
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

By process of elimination, the problem must be in your turn signal switch.

In a Firebird, power flows from the STOP/HAZARD fuse through the brake switch and on to the turn signal switch along a single wire (orange going into the brake switch and light blue going from the brake switch to the T/S switch). Inside the T/S switch the power is split by a pair of switches and then goes to each side tail lights. This is to allow the lights on one side to flash with the turn signal while the other side is on for the brakes. The power travels on a yellow wire to the left tail lights and a dark green wire to the right tail lights.

We know the fuse is okay because the right side lights work. We also know the orange wire from the fuse and the light blue wire into the T/S switch are fine for the same reason.

We know the dark green wire to the right tail light is okay because the right side still works. We know the yellow wire to the left side is okay because the left side turn signals work. That also indicates that the bulbs, sockets and grounds are fine.

That leaves only the turn signal switch to be the problem. I know... that sounds wrong because the turn signals work. But the small internal switches are double throw (they make contact in both positions) and I suspect that the contacts that allow flow of power for the left brake lights are corroded or damaged somehow.

You can test this theory by using a small piece of wire to connect the light blue wire going into the T/S switch to the yellow wire coming out of it - this bypasses the internals of the T/S switch. Your brake lights should work normally (although your left turn signal won't work).

Unfortunately, the internal switches aren't replaceable - you have to replace the whole T/S switch assembly.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

So how much of the steering column must be removed to replace the switch? Neither of my brake lights work unless i jump the wires in the T/S switch. So its in need of replacing
Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by wfritts911
So how much of the steering column must be removed to replace the switch? Neither of my brake lights work unless i jump the wires in the T/S switch. So its in need of replacing
A lot... air bag, steering wheel, column tilt lever, turn signal lever, hazard flasher ****, turn signal cancel cam and upper bearing inner race, three screws, steering column wire harness strap, disconnect the switch harness connector, and finally pull the switch and harness from the column.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

dang...i tried to fix it using some relays and splicing into the brake light switch Light Blue wire and going past the switch into the dark green and yellow going to the brake lights. Using a SPDT relay that was closed with no voltage so the brakes worked, then then the relay opened whenever the LB/White wire going to the dash indicator for the blinker got power. But it didnt work like i thought it should have, and i ran out of daylight.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

My '98 has the same problem, but it's intermittent. I have been trying to find a fix for more than a year now, lol. I think I will replace the turn signal lever just for the heck of it, because until now I have never had someone give such a definitive answer as Whitebird just did.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Whitebird, do you happen to have the part number needed for the turn signal switch?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Part number is 1995963 for all domestic Firebirds 98-02. It is $75 at the dealer but is available for about half that online. That is for the switch itself, not the lever. The lever doesn't do anything for the turn signals except mechanically move the switch (no electrical connection for the T/S).
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The past few weeks, my brake lights in my 2000 TA have be going out randomly. I checked everything and even replaced the switch in the floor. They work for a while, then one side goes out, then they both go out. Just like above, my night tail lights and turn signals work fine, it's just the brake lights giving me trouble. Since I bought the car 2 years ago my turn signal lever never reset after making a turn like it should. I always had to remember to click it back up to turn off the signal after making a turn. Could that have somethig to do with my brake problem as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by bluebird71
The past few weeks, my brake lights in my 2000 TA have be going out randomly. I checked everything and even replaced the switch in the floor. They work for a while, then one side goes out, then they both go out. Just like above, my night tail lights and turn signals work fine, it's just the brake lights giving me trouble. Since I bought the car 2 years ago my turn signal lever never reset after making a turn like it should. I always had to remember to click it back up to turn off the signal after making a turn. Could that have somethig to do with my brake problem as well.
Probably. You can test it as I mentioned earlier - connect a short piece of wire between the light blue wire going into the turn signal switch and the yellow (left side) or dark green (right side) wire going out to the tail lights. If your brake lights work with that jumper wire connected then you know the problem is in the turn signal switch. (Your turn signals will not work with that wire connected because it is bypassing the turn signal switch - so use it for testing purposes only.)
Old 07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Probably. You can test it as I mentioned earlier - connect a short piece of wire between the light blue wire going into the turn signal switch and the yellow (left side) or dark green (right side) wire going out to the tail lights. If your brake lights work with that jumper wire connected then you know the problem is in the turn signal switch. (Your turn signals will not work with that wire connected because it is bypassing the turn signal switch - so use it for testing purposes only.)
The TS switch is the little box right behind the turn signal lever that the back pops off of, correct?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

No, on my 98 its on the right of the steering column under the dash. Lay on your back on the floor and look up its on the side by the radio, all you can see of the switch is just the plug. it clips to the column. google for firebird turn signal switch and you will see the assembly, look for that plug clipped to the steering column. The method whitebird suggested works good to diagnose it.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was doing this same thing and we replaced the harness and it fixed it. Hope you all can get yours fixed.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kierstyn
Mine was doing this same thing and we replaced the harness and it fixed it. Hope you all can get yours fixed.
By "harness" did you mean the turn signal switch?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I changed the whole taillight harness. I had chased this down forever and my buddy who parts out wrecked f-bodys suggested we change the harness and there it was.lol

Im guessing tho thats not the ops problem tho just reread his post and says he tried that?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-08-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A lot... air bag, steering wheel, column tilt lever, turn signal lever, hazard flasher ****, turn signal cancel cam and upper bearing inner race, three screws, steering column wire harness strap, disconnect the switch harness connector, and finally pull the switch and harness from the column.
Do you need any special tools to disassemble the steering column or can it be disassembled with basic tools?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, there is a special tool involved in compressing the lock and retainer for removing the upper bearing inner race. It is GM tool #J23653-SIR.