Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help with HU install.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help with HU install.

Like the title says, I need a little help/guidance. I have the Sony CDX-GT740UI going into my car. Along with the harness that came with the Sony hu I have the swi-ps, and the install kit along with the metra adaptor for the monsoon and the antenna adaptor as well. I am wondering why I only have one orange (orange w/stripe) on the hu's harness, yet there are TWO oranges (solid and striped) on the monsoon adaptor harness? I understand they are both for dimming/illumination, but why isn't there two on each harness? What do I do with the extra orange (solid) that is on the metra part?

Also, concerning the black chassis ground- why is there a screwdown flat "c" hook on one end of the wire (Sony hu harness) yet on the metra adaptor harness the chassis ground is simply a normal black ground wire? Am I supposed to connect these two wires together (by splicing???) and then use the flat c hook end to screw down to the chassis (that part I think I know ) - why do I have to connect BOTH to chassis ground?

So recap:

-why is there not two oranges on the metra adaptor harness but there is on the Sony harness?

-what is the best method to connect the black chassis grounds from both harnesses together, since one has this flat srewdown type of end on it?

*keep in mind I'm a noob at car audio and really have no idea what I'm doing. Just sitting here reading all the manuals for the install kit, harnesses, antenna adaptor, swi-ps harness etc...I hope I didn't take on too much for my skill level here Just going to take my time, no rush.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone? The metra adaptor harness has TWO orange wires (one solid one with white stripe) while the hu harness only has one (orange w/white stripe). So I just connect the striped orange to striped orange and tape off the solid orange right? What about the questions above concerning the black wire?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Anyone? The metra adaptor harness has TWO orange wires (one solid one with white stripe) while the hu harness only has one (orange w/white stripe). So I just connect the striped orange to striped orange and tape off the solid orange right? What about the questions above concerning the black wire?
Thats what i do with the orange wire. And for the grounds i just cut the hook off on the HU end and connected the two grounds, never had an issue. The rest you should figure out, color to color.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ok cool, thanks man. But so you are saying that you don't ground yours to chassis with the hook thing? No ground at all?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The two orange wires do basically the same thing but in different ways.

The orange with white wire should be connected when the head unit expects only an on/off signal that the lights are on (the brown wire in the factory harness). Dimming is controlled by the head unit - this is the way most recent aftermarket head units are configured.

The plain orange wire should be connected when the head unit varies its dimming based on the dash dimmer switch (the gray wire in the factory harness). Very few head units do that anymore but the adapter harness still has the wire for compatibility. You should just leave it disconnected and taped up to prevent shorts.

It usually doesn't matter if you just connect the HU black wire to the adapter harness wire. Very few HUs require a separate external chassis ground connection anymore. It won't hurt anything if you connect it to the HU chassis as well as the harness wire but it isn't necessary - the chassis is grounded internally through that black wire.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ok thanks guys. I don't have the factory harness here so I can't see the brown or gray wires you refer to. But i just did like you said and connected striped orange and left solid orange alone. Thanks again. I'm doing the swi-ps at the same time.

Search this Thread