Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How long to properly dampen just one door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long to properly dampen just one door?

So, I have been planning a bunch of upgrades to my car and I'm getting to the point where I don't think that I'll be able to do them all in a weekend like I want to. The biggest thing with the interior that I want to do is replace my system with a system to be fully determined at a later date as well as installing a CarPC w/ 7" touchscreen.

Anyways, on to the purpose of the post: I really want to put down some sound deadening when I do the rest of the system since I'm going to have to take out the interior anyways to wire up my carPC all nice and pretty. Since things are piling up, I thought maybe I'd start out and do the doors and possibly the entirety of the trunk area at separate times before I pull out all of the interior. Good plan? Any downsides? I kinda figure that each door should be pretty isolated from anything else and should be easy to do. May also go ahead and replace window motors while I'm in there.

Looking for any kind of feedback. I have read a few threads on this, but it seems like most people do the entirety of the interior all at once, and i've seen a timeframe of 1 day to 5 days, so looking to get a better estimate of time for just 1 door at a time. Thanks all.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The doors are fairly easy, and so are the window motors, but then again Ive done both quite a few times.

Im used a dynamat door kit that covered both doors, but if I had to do it again, I would use something else, as there are cheaper and more effective products out there.

One thing I can recommend though is using something to cover the huge access hole towards the rear of the doors before you lay deadener over them. I used to thin sheet metal and 3m double sided tape, and layed deadener over that. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Launching!

So you're saying to completely cover the access hole? Why do you recommend it? I would think it would be better to leave access, although I guess it can always be removed if need be.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the hole is too big to effectively seal the door with just deadening. If you use some thin sheet metal and 3m double sided tape you can just pull the sheet metal off any time you need to get in there.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

I used a sheet of stainless and riveted sticky velcro to it and the door, then Duct taped over it. Now it is easy to remove and does not vibrate.

Dub
Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

I had a similar problem the first time round with my old car, if you dont mind driving round with an ugly car, and don't really have passengers, you can have most of your panels left in your garage and do bits of work at a time after work each day. I ran all my wires under the carpet minus the sat radio one which i ran up the pillar the behind the roof felt, popped it out through the T-Top.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

It took about 8 hrs the first time for me to do all of this. Starting on the Pass side, then getting off the door and interior panels without breaking them, running new wire to the doors, rear seats, and cargo area, installing and cabling the amps, drilling and riveting the Velcro on the door and panels, Cutting the Stainless panels out to fill the holes, cutting and installing the Dynamat, duct taping and sealing over any seams, and finally then buttoning everything back up and trying it out. Also don't forget to leave removable access panels to get to your power window motors, when they go bad at a later date.

It will mostly depend on the tools you have for the panels, how good you are at wiring, how detailed you do the cutting of the Dynamat, how well the panels fit over it all when going back on, what speakers you use, getting it all to align up to screw back together, and how much you break it down into sections.
The first door will take a little longer as getting the pattern and plates cut will take some time up. once you get the hang of removing the panels without destroying them, things it will go much easier. It's in noway difficult just sometimes a pain if your doing it all by yourself to get things to align back up. Have a friend over, it makes it much better to get done quickly.

Dub

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 07-16-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: How long to properly dampen just one door?