Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

? about installing sail panel subs in firebird

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about installing sail panel subs in firebird

im getting ready to install the 6.5 bazookas that came with the standard package from kee audio. i read a few different threads on here about installing them and a couple threw me off.

at first, i was under the impression that each side will have 2 sets of wires and u were supposed to tape off the shorter ones and then use the longer wires. then i read that you were supposed to use all of them and wire them parallel. are they different between the camaro and firebird? if so im installing them in a 2001 firebird.'

i dont have a whole lot of knowledge in this area. ive installed a few speakers before. but its been simple enough that it was just pulling the old ones out and putting the new ones in the same way. im hoping thats all the door speakers are haha. but if anyone could clear up the wiring on the sail panels, i would really appreciate it so i somewhat have an idea what im gonna be cussin at later
Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is pretty much as simple as pulling out the old speakers and installing the new ones. Firebirds and Camaros have different configurations in the sail panels. Firebirds have dual voice coil (DVC) subs there so you have two pairs of wires on each side. That's why the Bazookas are a good match - they are DVC subs so they have two pairs of terminals to connect the wires.

It's not 100% necessary but you should cut the factory connectors off of the original speakers and solder them to the Bazookas so that you can plug them into the factory wiring harness. That's better than cutting the factory harness.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Launching!

yea i got the driver side bazooka and door speaker in. i made it out to be a lot more complicated than it was haha. only issue was screwing the sub in. took a bit to line up. then when it would line up, the magnet kept pullin the clips off the holes. trew the ratched, talked to god a little, and had a smoke and then it went right in. im tempted to self tap the other side in depending on my patience
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put some masking tape on the connectors and it will help hold them in place while you screw them in.
You can use self tap screws as well though. Either way will work.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

yea i ended up using electrical tape. definately worth it. sounds great!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Thats good to hear that you made it work..