Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car computer

So I was at a friends house, and he had just ordered a custom computer that you bolt in under you seat (he has an acura... but still?). VGA/USB up to where the regular HU mounting spot, with a 7" screen.

I asked him the question, why not just a high end DD HU instead? And he started listing all the capabilities this computer would have that the DD wouldn't (such as internet capability, assuming you have a cellular connection to tie it to). Had a custom OS (linux based I would assume...?) and no Hard drive (regular laptop 2.5" bay, for HDD, or SSD.)

What I'm wondering, what do you guys think of car computers? (It would cost right at a higher end DD unit anyway?)
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

I think, what's the point? You can't use it while you're driving (at least we'll all hope so). To me, it's just a distraction when I should be watching the road. Of course, if what's really being sought is the ability to wow some friends, then by all means. Of course, there's better ways to do that. Pulling the front wheels off the ground is one really good one.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Reasons? GPS, Massive audio library ( i have 11,000 songs in 12 gigs of HD alone) the ability to teather your smartphone to give it internet radio IE Pandora, which i love. I live in the middle of bible bashing no where, i got gospel station or talk stations to choose from when i travel anywhere. CDs can be run on them, DVDs when your just chillaxing in the car. I dont know bout most F-body owners, i enjoy going up a mountain trail to a look out spot, park in a shaded area with T-Tops open and just relax.. Movie will allow longer relaxation Computers have 5.1 capibilities and can push out THX quality sound with a cheap soundblaster PCI card.. How many head units are that clear?

Anywho, im almost done programming my OS for my carputer, just need a SSD drive, transfer it over and be happpy
Old 07-11-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can actually piece together a car computer that do alot have more capabilities than a fancy double din, and also have a easier weight on your wallet.

You can build a mini computer (buy internals and assemble) or you can simply buy a screen and connect it to a used laptop/ Netbook or buy an Ipad like I plan to.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10039166

A quick toss together of a carputer, it's similar to my build. But for about 2 grand you can have audiophile sound, using this GFX card it upscales music from flat mp3 to 7.1 sound, or 6.1 as far as cars are concerned. If you have a monsoon system prior you can turn your car into a front mid and rear sound zones with sub. The build also uses 3 amps, 1 for subs, 1 for front then 1 for mids and rear.. Mep

edit* it can play blu-ray too.... OoooOOooo.. Can any deck do that?

Last edited by owlpuff; 07-11-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like this.

Any other resources on this stuff?!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

mp3car.com prolly the best carputer forums out there
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

try this im plan on put this on my car
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...482&CatId=1210

Last edited by tsench; 07-14-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

I installed a carputer on the blue truck. Really like it.

You can have your own custom skin in there or choose from hundreds of skins. (most double din stereos dont offer this)

Then of course you can have gigs of music and videos stored on the hard drive. It will play any format.

You can even install some games and play while relaxing..

Roadrunner is the frontend software that is the most popular.

You can build one for lets say 600 bucks, it all depends on the price that you get your parts. Can be cheaper though.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

There's a lot of benefits to a carputer over a fancy DD head unit.

Ease of managing audio/video library
Internet
Custom built apps
Custom built OS

For instance, one of the apps that I've seen for Centrafuse is an app that lets you view traffic cameras on highways.

There's also tire pressure monitoring systems as well as the capability to hook up ODBII scanning/editing software like EFI Live or HPTuners. All around way more options and possibilities, the downside is increased difficulty of install and/or cost of components and longer boot time.

I'm curious if there's a way to use the second pulse that's available from the progressive door lock mod to start up the PC prior to starting the car up.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shenlon
There's a lot of benefits to a carputer over a fancy DD head unit.

Ease of managing audio/video library
Internet
Custom built apps
Custom built OS

For instance, one of the apps that I've seen for Centrafuse is an app that lets you view traffic cameras on highways.

There's also tire pressure monitoring systems as well as the capability to hook up ODBII scanning/editing software like EFI Live or HPTuners. All around way more options and possibilities, the downside is increased difficulty of install and/or cost of components and longer boot time.

I'm curious if there's a way to use the second pulse that's available from the progressive door lock mod to start up the PC prior to starting the car up.
I'd be interested in finding that out as well, maybe a remote ignition might be another approach to consider?

And on the note of that TigerDirect PC, you'd probably need some sort of TosLink (optical audio) to 6/8ch RCA out? 2.0 audio wouldn't cut it for me...
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

I'll be honest.. as of recently, I've been tempted to scrap my Custom OS in preference for a slightly modded windows 7.. It has smexy super touch friendly functions... and multi-touch... mmmmmm There is no need whatsoever to spend money on a frontend since windows 7 is pretty damn good at doing much all out of the box... and im hating it X_X
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by owlpuff
Reasons? GPS, Massive audio library ( i have 11,000 songs in 12 gigs of HD alone) the ability to teather your smartphone to give it internet radio IE Pandora, which i love. I live in the middle of bible bashing no where, i got gospel station or talk stations to choose from when i travel anywhere. CDs can be run on them, DVDs when your just chillaxing in the car. I dont know bout most F-body owners, i enjoy going up a mountain trail to a look out spot, park in a shaded area with T-Tops open and just relax.. Movie will allow longer relaxation Computers have 5.1 capibilities and can push out THX quality sound with a cheap soundblaster PCI card.. How many head units are that clear?

Anywho, im almost done programming my OS for my carputer, just need a SSD drive, transfer it over and be happpy
A lot depends on whether you use your car as a car or you live in it.

My three year old double DIN Kenwood can do everything listed above except the 5.1 (Garmin based GPS, USB flash drives up to 32GB for music storage, Bluetooth connection to smartphone for both phone and audio, plays CDs and DVDs). I figure who needs 5.1 or THX... it's a CAR! When I want to watch a movie or listen to a fancy sound system, I'll do it at home where I've got a bigger screen and better audio equipment (not to mention a better environment for sound, a refrigerator and a really comfortable sofa).

Certainly it's your car and you can do what you want to it but I thought I'd add a little perspective to this discussion.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Launching!

That's true, it's definitely not for everyone. I figure if I'm going to spend that kind of $ on a system, I'd rather give myself the most utility possible, even if I may not need all the capabilities right now.

I also really don't like the look of most DD head units, I think a touchscreen looks MUCH cleaner, but that's all personal preference.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

A DD unit also does not allow you to use a usb expander to allow recording of multiple cameras you can mount around your car can make some smexy driving video , camera at plate for that flying look, behind driver to review how you take turns to improve, side of car to see how you take your turns a little better... rear-view camera for parking your boat in a compact car spot... options are just endless and limited by imagination... cause it IS a computer, which means you can make it do just about anything you tailor it to do. Radios... do radio stuff with a few bells and whistles xD

And yes, it is just a preference thing ^^
Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, there are many possibilities. And if that's what you want then by all means do it. I'm just pointing out that we are lucky enough to have cars that lend themselves to a double DIN upgrade and that many features mentioned are available in that compact in-dash package without a lot of external equipment and the associated setup.

Oh BTW, the rear view camera works fine on my Kenwood. And the A/V inputs would accept additional cameras if I felt I had any need for them.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, there are many possibilities. And if that's what you want then by all means do it. I'm just pointing out that we are lucky enough to have cars that lend themselves to a double DIN upgrade and that many features mentioned are available in that compact in-dash package without a lot of external equipment and the associated setup.

Oh BTW, the rear view camera works fine on my Kenwood. And the A/V inputs would accept additional cameras if I felt I had any need for them.
Yeah, the external equipment would be hidden away. Its not very often I have my head under the passenger seat? lol

And at the cost I'm looking at they'd be about equal, so I'm thinking would the added capabilities be worth the negatives (mainly boot times -which... coouuuld be solved with a higher end SSD-). And to answer you previous question, I use my car for what it is capable of. So my current use reflects what it can do now, but I would like either setup and use it quite effectively.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://store.mp3car.com/Centrafuse_A..._p/sof-022.htm

Like this?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by owlpuff
Pics of your setup?