Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod Connection Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ipod Connection Help!

I have a kenwood ddx512 and my ipod is connected to it through the glovebox. Sometimes my ipod will automatically start up and read. But sometimes it won't, then I have to unplug it and plug it back in. It is always connected and shows that its charging so that means that the connection is good. On the HU screen it just is stuck saying reading until I unplug and plug it back in. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Pitch the iPod into the street (j/k) and connect a simple USB flash drive. I have an 8GB flash drive connected to my DNX5120. It works every time, requires no charging, displays all album and track information (including cover art), and only cost about $15. Since you leave it connected all the time, you really don't need an iPod or MP3 player.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

will it still be set up close to the same way? like having all the different playlists and artists sorted?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unfortunately, it doesn't support playlists. You can put your MP3 files in whatever order and whatever order you prefer but it doesn't have the ability to play a list of tracks from different folders (a playlist). There is a "playlist" mode but it's not what you and I would call a playlist. It involves modifying the ID3 tag of each MP3 file to insert a sequential track number then having the HU play those tracks in the track number order - way more trouble than it's worth.

What I do is just create another folder with the mix of tracks I want in the order I want them. The USB storage is so cheap that it doesn't bother me to have tracks that are duplicated in different folders. There's also a random play option that isn't exactly a playlist but at least it mixes up your tracks.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would try updating firmware on both radio and ipod