Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bypassing monsoon amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypassing monsoon amp

how do i bypass the monsoon amp to install aftermarket speakers? my car already has a aftermarket head unit(bought the car that way) and dont know how it is wired.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

there's a lot of info in the stickies bro, check em out
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

If your aftermarket head is working with your stock speakers.... why would you wanna bypass the amp? speakers are passive items that receive and work with what their given, if head and amp are working then aftermarket speakers will work better given same combo.. Unless you wanna install an aftermarket amp, then its a different story
Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

not sure what you want to do. put in new amps? then you would run rca patch cables from the head unit to the new amp, then the speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. ignore the monsoon amp completely, or take it out if you prefer.

if you are trying to just run the speakers directly to the head unit and not use the monsoon amp, it's not really worth your time seeing as the monsoon amp will actually make the speakers sound better than your head unit.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated you really don't want to bypass the amp as it is probably the best part of the whole Monsoon system.
By using an aftermarket HU you are now feeding it a cleaner signal assuming it is a decent unit that is.
All you really need is speakers that work with the stock system and the stock amp. This has been discussed several times in this forum and I carry them as well. I can usually work within any budget to get you speakers that will work with your system.
The only reason to bypass the stock amp is if you were going to run another aftermarket amp as the HU will not push as much power as the stock amp would. It would be a step backward IMO.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 07-21-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

someone else had an aftermarket amp and subs in this car before....the rca cables and amp wiring are all still there just not hooked up...i really dont want to bypass the monsoon amp but i bought 3 way kenwood speakers for the doors and cant figure out how they will hook up.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

3-way Kenwoods were not the best choice for that application but lets see if I can help.
First off which car do you have? Camaro or Firebird?
Do the Kenwoods have a wire running up the back of them. Generally a black and red wire, very thin, that runs from the leads (pos and neg) around the side and up the back of the magnet and into the center of it. There is probably a sticker with the model number on the back of the magnet as well that may be covering the wires. Anyway, those are the tweeter wires and those would need to be cut at the leads to connect to the tweeter wires in the doors. Both Camaro and Firebird Monsoon systems have seperately wired tweeter and midbass even though the Camaro has what appears to be a coaxial stock. SO in both cars you have a pair of tweeter wires and a pair of midbass wires.
There is a wiring diagram in the FAQ you can refer to figure out which wire is what color so you can tap into them. Another better idea is to find someone with a blown speaker that has the connector still on it and reuse the connector with the new Kenwoods you have.
Let me know about what speaker model you have and maybe I can help you out some more.
-Ian
Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Teching In

the speakers are kfc-c1739ie and doesn't look like you can separate the tweeter wires on them.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

if you can, return the speakers and go to www.Keeaudio.com and pick up the proper speakers for your car. CDT convertible components in the front paired with some midbass drivers in the sail panel should sound very nice with the monsoon amp.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jessebob99
the speakers are kfc-c1739ie and doesn't look like you can separate the tweeter wires on them.
Your right, I just looked at them online and finally saw a picture of the back of them. The tweeter wires are not accessable like some others are.
I have several speakers in different price ranges I can try to help you with if you need them.

Quick Reply: bypassing monsoon amp