Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head unit?

i have a 99 camaro and plan on installing a head unit within the next two weeks. a friend has a 93 that is supposed to have a bose sound system in it and after he had a head unit installed his volume controls are crazy. like you cant hear one or two but by the time you get to five its so loud i cant stand it.

my car has the monsoon system do they do something similar to this with an aftermarket head unit installed? if so is there a way to solve it? would turning the monsoon amp down do anything?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't have that problem with the Monsoon. I never have had an issue like that out of one. You cannot turn the amp down anyway, there is no adjustment on it.
Let me know if I can help on a HU. I have several good ones that match the interior illumination and I include the install gear with certain ones.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont have any issues with a monsoon car, his car does it becasue of the way it was installed
Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

the best headunit to get if you have an ipod/iphone...alpine cda-105...i have it in my 01 SS...love it..best unit ever owned and sounds great
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

thank all yall for your replies.

he had his professionally done and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

thanks again
Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 91RS99z
thank all yall for your replies.

he had his professionally done and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

thanks again
Then those "professionals" really didn't have a clue. Sounds more like Best Buy or Circuit City "professionals".

The Camaro Bose system has amps attached to each of the speakers that expect low-level, high-impedance input. Those installers connected speaker-level from the new head unit to the original wiring and the amps get overwhelmed by the high-level input. All that's needed is an adapter such as the PAC OEM1 or similar that is basically a 4-channel line output converter. Install the adapter in the output wiring at the back of the new head unit and the Bose system will go back to working like it should.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were right, there is nothing they could do about it because they didn't know how that system is done. Same thing with alot of these "professionals" and the Monsoon system. Generally they just recommend replacing the entire thing because it has a factory amp and a speaker configuration they aren't familiar with.
If you need a 4-channel converter for your friend I have those as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

so are yall saying mine with the monsoon system will be fine with out the converter?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, unlike the Bose, there is absolutely nothing special about a Monsoon head unit - it's just a Delco radio with an extra label on it. You can simply attach an adapter harness to your aftermarket head unit and it will plug right in to the factory wiring and work fine (better than the factory HU did).