Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting of HU

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Mounting of HU

I am just wondering about something I noticed when I mounted my single din HU to my dash. I understand how/why the hu slides into the chassis and "locks" in place (requiring two unlock keys to remove hu again), and I understand how the mounting kit's faceplate-portion simply mounts to the dash via the three screws/bolts, holding it all in place. But here is the part where I had to improvise, I had to pry out all of the metal tabs on the chassis so that they were protruding outwards. This allowed them to catch on the face of the mount kit and not allow the whole chassis to come back out through the hole it went in through (through the face of the mounting kit). Is this the only way to ensure the HU doens't fly out of your dash when you stomp on it? I mean, metal tabs? Seems like a cheap way to do it to me. Why couldn't they make the chassis be able to slide into the opening in the face of the mounting kit and LOCK into place or something...why leave it so it can freely come back out without pulling those tabs? I hope I am clear in my questioning as I don't know if I am using the correct and most widely accepted terms. I will be glad to rephrase the question if needed.

Basically: just want to know if pulling tabs outward on the metal hu chassis is the ONLY way to get it to stay in the dash opening without flying out?

Last edited by oddwraith; 07-23-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Speeling :P
Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The real quick answer is Yes that is the way it is designed, has been for many years. Now, for the question--- what type of HU are you mounting into what type of mounting bracket? This information will be useful in answering your question Correctly.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's already done, I just thought it wasn't a very good way to do it. It's the HU in my sig and it's a single din and it's installed already with steering controls and antenna working. It all went off without a hitch, but I couldn't believe how the "tabs" were all that exists for a good fit? Seems like I could come up with something better. Hmmm.