Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what would make a brand new battery not hold a charge after 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what would make a brand new battery not hold a charge after 2 weeks

hi all.. i bought a duralast gold top battery 2 weeks ago because my old one wasnt holding a charge. after 2 weeks of owning this new battery, it dies overnight on me, and wont hold a 12v charge. i installed an amp and cap when i had the old battery and i think this is whats causing the problem. the only thing i dont get is why this would cause the problem. the cap is turning off a few seconds after i shut off the car, but im wondering if it is still pulling power. i noticed that when i started my car this past week the cap was making the low voltage beep, but it never clicked in my head that it was doing the same thing before the last battery went. do i need a new battery and need to get rid of the cap? or is it possible that if i jump the battery and leave the car running for a while that it will return to holding 12v? either way the cap is getting tossed. somebody please help this car is my dd
Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Are you sure you have the amp wired correctly with a switched remote turn-on? It sounds like the amp isn't turning off.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

ive done plenty of amps and i am positive that the amp is wired correctly.. as far as the cap goes, im not positive because this is my first cap ive ever owned, and i bought the system off a friend. he never had a problem with it and we swapped it right from his trunk to mine, and he wired and charged the cap. its a few weeks after the battery dies, so what would make it take so long to kill the battery?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 PM

If you have a multimeter put it on some of the wires going to your system when the car is off and check if they're drawing any current.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Could be a bad starter i had this problem a few months ago.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id check to see if the cap is still drawing voltage with the car off. Check voltage at the battery, before the cap, and after the cap and see if there is a significant drop anywhere in the line.