Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

parking/dash/fog lights don't work. help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default parking/dash/fog lights don't work. help

I went to replace a bulb in my tail light. Turned the lights on and off to see which one it was. Put the new bulb in and now the parking/dash/fog lights don't work. I've replaced the "Tail LPS" fuse but it didn't do ****. Any of you guys came across this problem? What fixed it?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but you could try just flipping the bulb around.

That happened to me with my DRL and it started working after that.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Already tired that. No luck.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Perhaps something is shorting out, did you do any electrical work on your car recently?

I know you said the dash lights don't come on, what about the interior dome lights? Is your stereo getting power?

I'm just looking for more information on what is/isn't working.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

If I put the key in and turn it on(engine not running) The radio will come on but still the dash lights don't work. I can turn the blinkers on but they blink shorter than normal. Tail lights will work. Fog lights still won't come on.

When the key is not in it and I switch it in the middle for all the lights except the headlights to come on nothing works besides the dome light. When I pull the "Tail LPS" fuse out the dome light goes out so I know it's not the fuse.

When I turn the key for the radio and stuff to come on I can hear the fuse boxes, or something in that area, ticking or something. I just don't see if I have a wire touching, it wasn't doing it earlier? I was messing with it all day and nothing ever shorted out until I put that new rear bulb in the tail light. I used the 194 bulb like I normally do(the small one on the outside of the tail light).
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Bump.

Is is possible to have a short without a fuse blowing?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Dome light and headlights have power when the key is not in the ignition. Everything else is dead. There are 0 blown fuses.

I see which tail light bulb did not work, turned off the lights, put new bulb in, turned the lights back on, heard a small pop and nothing works. My dad and I have spent some time in the garage trying to figure this out. Moving wires around, switching bulbs, messed with the headlight switch and nothing is working. I didn't touch a single ground wire.

When I put the key in and turn it I hear some popping coming from the fuse boxes. I'm pretty sure that is not normal. Am I forgetting to check something? What about the solid grey fuses in the fuse box? Would they have anything to do with it?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Everything you describe points to the TAIL LPS fuse. Have you tested it? If you have a dead short somewhere the new fuse could have blown the second you installed it. Never rely on a visual inspection of a fuse because they can look fine and still be blown. If it's not the fuse then you need to get a test light or multimeter and start checking for power. Start at the light sockets - they will undoubtably be dead. Then check both side of the TAIL LPS fuse socket. Keep moving "upstream" in the circuit until you find power and then you know where the problem is.

The fact the interior lights work is not important - they are on a separate circuit controlled by the BCM and protected by the COURTESY fuse. The TAIL LPS circuit handles the exterior running lights (taillights, marker lights and fog lights) and the dash illumination.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

I have put 3 different tail lps fuses in. I guess I'm going to pull the front bumper back off, since that's where I hear the popping noises, and check all the wiring around the fuse box.

I thought I would let you guys know about the dome light because that will turn off when I pull the tail lps fuse out.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

wow. sorry for anyone trying to wrap their head around this. I swear I checked that mother fkin tail lps fuse 15 times. I ripped all the bumpers off today. Under the car messing with wires. Nothing happens. I decided what the hell, checked the tail lps fuse.... blown. Kidding me??? Replaced it... everything works. Maybe it's possible that the short was bypassing the fuse box and when I hit something it blew it. If that's true, I didn't fix the exposed wire. I hate cars.... Not sure I want to dump 3500 on a rear end tomorrow or not now!

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I would never say "I told you so" but... you heard it here first.

I'm glad you got it working. However, it is not possible for a short circuit to "bypass" the fuse so I would keep an eye on it in case you have an intermittent short somewhere (for example, a power wire with the insulation worn that only comes into contact with some metal when you hit a bump). Something like that can be a real pain in the butt to track down.

Quick Reply: parking/dash/fog lights don't work. help