Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subwoofer not working

So I got back from my deployment. Told the wife to start the car every so often. Battery died anyhow (several years old anyhow so it was probably going to die no matter what). Had it jump started, it ran fine. Shut it off, wouldn't start again. Changed battery, car runs like normal.

Afterwards, I noticed that my music was lacking some bass. Turned the fade **** and the sub wasn't putting any sound out. All my speakers work as normal. Look at my amps, both amps (one for fronts, other for sub) both have the power light on, red warning fault light thing not on. Sub is not vibrating or anything.

Is this what they call a frozen sub? Could it have frozen from sitting in my garage while I was deployed? Or could the jump start have done something? Also, how do I fix this? I hope to not have to buy another sub.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Is the suspension working/moving on on the sub? If so it isn't "frozen"
Are you sure it is getting a signal?
Check to make sure you are getting signal and that the sub doesn't have an open VC.
Is your sub amp is hooked up to the NF output? If so make sure that it is on and turned up.

You can check the Sub and output of the RCA and AMP with a meter.
If you don't have a meter however you can use a DC (9v, D, C, AA, AAA)
and connect this to you speaker to see if it "pops". will atleast let you know if the coil is open.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you check the fuse under the hood? i know thats always been a problem when i had my tahoe id jam so hard n then all of a sudden it would stop so id pissed wondering wtf is going on then id check n the fuse is melted haha
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If everything ends up being fine and the speaker can still be moved by hand then the voice coil might of gotten a surge of wattage and fried. Try and check the listed above things first.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
Look at my amps, both amps (one for fronts, other for sub) both have the power light on, red warning fault light thing not on
It appears to have power.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I will look further into this problem probably this weekend. I am able to push on the sub and the speaker can move a little. I looked at all the fuses and didn't see anything melted or broken (forgot to mention that in my first post).