Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Putting stock radio back in, no interface/radio stations

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting stock radio back in, no interface/radio stations

I hate the aftermarket headunit that the previous owner installed and the car came with the original radio, so I decided to stick it in and see if it still worked.

Got it all plugged in and it plays CD's fine, but the interface (clock/radio station lights) don't work so I can't see what I'm doing.
Also no radio stations, I hear nothing, no static.

When I unplug the antennae thing I can hear static.

I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in, but the back of my stock radio (1995 Delco Bose equipped car) has a big grey port with 4 sets of connectors in the top right corner (if your looking at the backside of the unit, right side up) and my wires only allow for 3 of those to be connected. Nothing is broken, it just doesn't have anything for the 4th set.

There is also a single black vertical port underneath the big grey one, but I can't find anything to connect it with.

Please help =)
Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Find out which wire is the illumination wire because you are not getting power to it.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your grey and brown wire on that block connector. Those two provide power to the displays.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So this radio is possessed.

I got it all hooked up again trying to diagnose, the wires are all good, so its something internal.

Couldn't get the radio to work but it plays CDs just fine.
So I turned it off and about 30 seconds later it starts BLARING Mexican music, volume will not work, station will not change, and power will not go off lol.

I really don't feel like messing with it, previous owner tried to since the stickers and bolts look like they've been removed.

I'm just going to get rid of it and sell my Alpine unit to find something with an AUX input for my iPhone music...any suggestions?
Would like to spend ~$100.

If anyone wants my headunit let me know, stock or Alpine one.